Document Type : Original Article
Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
Sheep keepers need suitable strategies to improve animal immunity and the quality of their products. This study was aimed to evaluate the effect of nano-selenium (nano-Se) and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) on an antioxidant statue, trace minerals, and mRNA expression of glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1) and selenoprotein W1 (SEPW1) genes in the liver and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARγ) and stearoyl COA desaturase 1 (SCD1) genes in fat- tail of male Moghani lambs. Thirty male Moghani lambs, three months old and average weight 30.00 ± 0.25 kg, were assigned to a completely randomized design in a 2×3 factorial arrangement with dietary supplementation of nano-Se (0, 1.00 and 2.00 mg kg-1 dry matter) and CLA (0 and 15.00 g kg-1 dry matter). The lambs were slaughtered at the end of the experiment, on day 90 of the experiment. Results showed that dietary inclusion of nano-Se significantly improved antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase in blood, however, did not show any differences in trace mineral treatments. The analysis of qPCR showed that nano-Se inclusion at the highest level (2.00 g kg-1 dry matter) enhanced gene expression of GPX1 (0.64 vs 0.34) and SEPW1 1 (0.72 vs 0.35) in the liver. Dietary inclusion of CLA increased the expression of PPARγ (0.63 vs 0.38) and decreased SCD1 (0.63 vs 0.33) genes in fat- tail. It could be concluded that selenium inclusion in the growing lamb’s diet could improve antioxidant status, however, no synergistic interaction was observed along with CLA on the mentioned parameters.
- Zhan XA, Wang HF, Yuan D, et al. Comparison of different forms of dietary selenium supplementation on gene expression of cytoplasmic thioredoxin reductase, selenoprotein P, and selenoprotein W in broilers. Czech J Anim Sci 2014;59(12):571-578.
- Wu H, Zhu H, Li X, et al. Induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in A549 human lung adenocarcinoma cells by surface-capping selenium nanoparticles: an effect enhanced by polysaccharide–protein complexes from Polyporus rhinocerus. J Agric Food Chem 2013; 61(41):9859-9866.
- Cai SJ, Wu CX, Gong LM, et al. Effects of nano-selenium on performance, meat quality, immune function, oxidation resistance, and tissue selenium content in broilers. Poult Sci 2012; 91(10):2532-2539.
- Sadeghian S, Kojouri GA, Mohebbi A. Nanoparticles of selenium as species with stronger physiological effects in sheep in comparison with sodium selenite. Biol Trace Elem Res 2012; 146(3):302-308.
- Reich HJ, Hondal RJ. Why nature chose selenium. ACS chem Boil 2016; 11(4):821-841.
- Shini S, Sultan A, Bryden WL. Selenium biochemistry and bioavailability: Implications for animal agriculture. Agriculture 2015:5(4):1277-1288.
- Sarkar B, Bhattacharjee S, Daware A, et al. Selenium nanoparticles for stress-resilient fish and livestock. Nanoscale Res Lett 2015; 10(1):371. doi: 10.1186/ s11671-015-1073-2.
- Viladomiu M, Hontecillas R, Bassaganya-Riera J. Modulation of inflammation and immunity by dietary conjugated linoleic acid. Eur J Pharmacol 2016:785:87-95.
- Netto AS, Zanetti MA, Del Claro GR, et al. Effects of copper and selenium supplementation on performance and lipid metabolism in confined Brangus bulls. Asian-Austral J Anim Sci 2014; 27(4):488-494.
- Gabryszuk M, Czuaderna M, Baranowski A, et al. The effect of diet supplementation with Se, Zn and vitamin E on cholesterol, CLA and fatty acid contents of meat and liver of lambs. Anim Sci Pap Rep 2007; 25(1):25-33.
- Ran L, Wu X, Shen X, et al. Effects of selenium form on blood and milk selenium concentrations, milk component and milk fatty acid composition in dairy cows. J Sci Food Agric 2010; 90(13):2214-2219.
- Pechova A, Misurova L, Pavlata L, et al. Monitoring of changes in selenium concentration in goat milk during short-term supplementation of various forms of selenium. Biol Trace Elem Res 2008; 121(2):180-191.
- Degrace P, Demizieux L, Gresti J, et al. Hepatic steatosis is not due to impaired fatty acid oxidation capacities in C57BL/6J mice fed the conjugated trans-10, cis-12-isomer of linoleic acid. J Nutr 2004; 134(4):861-867.
- Kojouri GA, Shirazi A. Serum concentrations of Cu, Zn, Fe, Mo and Co in newborn lambs following systemic administration of Vitamin E and selenium to the pregnant ewes. Small Rumin Res 2007; 70(2):136-139.
- Ponce M, Giraldez I, Calero S, et al. Toxicity and biochemical transformation of selenium species in rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) enrichments. Aquaculture 2018; 484:105-111.
- Lubos E, Loscalzo J, Handy DE. Glutathione peroxidase-1 in health and disease: from molecular mechanisms to therapeutic opportunities. Antitoxid Redox Signal 2011; 15(7):1957-1997.
- Wang XL, Yang CP, Xu K, et al. Selenoprotein W depletion in vitro might indicate that its main function is not as an antioxidative enzyme. Biochemistry (Mosc) 2010; 75(2):201-207.
- Zhou JC, Zheng S, Mo J, et al. Dietary Selenium deficiency or excess reduces sperm quality and testicular mRNA abundance of nuclear glutathione peroxidase 4 in rats. J Nutr 2017; 147(10):1947-1953.
- Malapaka RRV, Khoo S, Zhang J, et al. Identification and mechanism of 10-carbon fatty acid as modulating ligand of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors. J Biol Chem 2012; 287(1):183-195.
- Sato K, Fukao K, Seki Y, et al. Expression of the chicken peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ gene is influenced by aging, nutrition, and agonist administration. Poult Sci 2004; 83(8):1342-1347.
- Mainieri D, Summermatter S, Seydoux J, et al. A role for skeletal muscle stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 in control of thermogenesis. FASEB J 2006; 20(10):1751-1753.
- Bartoň L, Bureš D, Kott T, et al. Effect of sex and age on bovine muscle and adipose fatty acid composition and stearoyl-CoA desaturase mRNA expression. Meat Sci 2011; 89(4):444-450.
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. The Association of Official Analytical Chemists; Washington DC, USA: AOAC 2000; 185-201.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991; 74(10):3583-3597.
- Talapatra SK, Ray SC, Sen KC. Calcium assimilation in ruminants on oxalate-rich diet. J Agri Sci 1948; 38(2):163-173.
- Seyrek A, Kocyigit A, Erel O. Essential trace elements selenium, zinc, copper, and iron concentrations and their related acute-phase proteins in patients with vivax malaria. Biol Trace Elem Res 2005; 106(2):107-115.
- Ford SP, Zhang L, Zhu M, et al. Maternal obesity accelerates fetal pancreatic β-cell but not α-cell development in sheep: prenatal consequences. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2009; 297(3): R835-R843.
- Bellissimo MI, Amado D, Abdalla DS, et al. Superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase activities and the hydroperoxide concentration are modified in the hippocampus of epileptic rats. Epilepsy Res2001; 46(2):121-128.
- Glenn ST, Jones CA, Liang P, et al. Expression profiling of archival renal tumors by quantitative PCR to validate prognostic markers. Bio Techniques 2007; 43(5):639-647.
- Vandesompele J, De Preter K, Pattyn F, et al. Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol 2002; 3: 0034-1. doi:10.1186/gb-2002-3-7-research0034.
- Zhou JC, Zhao H, Li JG, et al. Selenoprotein gene expression in thyroid and pituitary of young pigs is not affected by dietary selenium deficiency or excess. J Nutr 2009; 139(6):1061-1066.
- Guo YM, Gong J, Zheng YG, et al. Protection of bovine mammary epithelial cells from hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative cell damage by selenium. Czech J Anim Sci 2018; 63(3):94-102.
- Atencio L, Moreno I, Jos A, et al. Effects of dietary selenium on the oxidative stress and pathological changes in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) exposed to a microcystin-producing cyanobacterial water bloom. Toxicon 2009; 53(2):269-282.
- Saffari S, Keyvanshokooh S, Zakeri M, et al. Effects of different dietary selenium sources (sodium selenite, selenomethionine and nanoselenium) on growth performance, muscle composition, blood enzymes and antioxidant status of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Aquac Nutr 2017; 23(3):611-617.
- Sunde RA, Li JL, Taylor RM. Insights for setting of nutrient requirements, gleaned by comparison of selenium status biomarkers in turkeys and chickens versus rats, mice, and lambs. Adv Nutr 2016; 7(6): 1129-1138.
- Huang YB, Sun YW, Zhou JQ, et al. Effects of organic selenium sources on lamb′ s growth performance and its antioxidative activities. Anim Husbandry Feed Sci 2009; 9: 13.
- Teixeira AGV, Lima FS, Bicalho MLS, et al. Effect of an injectable trace mineral supplement containing selenium, copper, zinc, and manganese on immunity, health, and growth of dairy calves. J Dairy Sci 2014; 97(7):4216-4226.
- Moeini MM, Kiani A, Karami H, et al. The effect of selenium administration on the selenium, copper, iron and zinc status of pregnant heifers and their newborn calves. J Agric Sci Tech 2010; 13(1):53-59.
- Čobanova K, Faix Š, Polach I, et al. Effects of different dietary selenium sources on antioxidant status and blood phagocytic activity in sheep. Biol Trace Elem Res 2017; 175:339-346.
- Liu Y, Zhao H, Zhang Q, et al. Prolonged dietary selenium deficiency or excess does not globally affect selenoprotein gene expression and/or protein production in various tissues of pigs. J Nutr 2012; 142(8):1410-1416.
- Husain N, Kumar A. Reactive oxygen species and natural antioxidants: A review. Adv Biores 2012; 3(4):164-175.
- Stone CA, Kawai K, Kupka R et al. Role of selenium in HIV infection. Nutr Rev 2010; 68(11):671-681.
- Ghaderzadeh S, Mirzaei Aghjeh-Gheshlagh F, Nikbin S, et al. Review on properties of selenium in animal nutrition. Iran J Appl Anim Sci 2016; 6(4):753-761.
- Spiegelman BM. PPAR-gamma: Adipogenic regulator and thiazolidinedione receptor. Diabetes 1998; 47 (4):507-514.
- Ntambi JM, Miyzaki M, Stoehr JP, et al. Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 function protects mice against adiposity. PNAS 2002; 99(17):11482-11486.
- Islas AD, Johnson A, Medrano JF. Genomic structure and expression of the bovine stearoyl-coa-desaturase gene. In proceedings: Plant, Animal and Microbe Genomes X Conference. San Diego, USA. 2002: 766.
- Lawler TL, Taylor JB, Finley et al. Effect of supra-nutritional and organically bound selenium on performance, carcass characteristics, and selenium distribution in finishing beef steers. J Anim Sci 2004; 82:1488-1493.
- Galan-Chilet I, Guallar E, Martin-Escudero C, et al. Do genes modify the association of selenium and lipid levels? Antioxid Redox Signal 2015; 22(15):1352-1362.
- Wang X, Zhang W, Chen H, et al. High selenium impairs hepatic insulin sensitivity through opposite regulation of ROS. Toxical Lett 2014; 224(1):16-23.