Document Type : Original Article
Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of two aflatoxins (AFs) sources for experimental induction of aflatoxicosis in ducklings. Dietary supplementation of aflatoxin-contaminated grounded rice grains previously was cultured by Aspergillus parasiticus and dietary supplementation of aflatoxin methanolic extract of contaminated rice grains. A total number of 18 four-day-old ducklings were treated with varying sources of AFs. Treatments included: A: Control (basal diet without AFs), B: Contaminated feed with 0.20 mg kg-1 AFs (ground rice grains), C: Contaminated feed with 0.20 mg kg-1 AFs (methanol extract of contaminated rice grains). Results showed a significant decrease in serum levels of total protein, albumin, glucose, triglyceride, cholesterol, HDL, LDL and creatinine. The serum's hepatic enzymes levels were not affected in AFs-treated groups but lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) concentration increased by the two AFs sources. The relative weight of the liver and spleen was significantly increased in AFs-fed groups. Histopathological liver examination showed the vacuolar degeneration with small and large lipid droplets in hepatocytes in the AFs- contaminated groups. Dietary AFs resulted in a significant decrease of villus height, villus width and villus surface area of the small intestine compared to the control group. In conclusion, the results showed that the induction of experimental aflatoxicosis via two investigated AFs sources had slight differences concerning the studied parameters. It seems the group consumed ground rice grains indicated slightly fewer aflatoxicosis symptoms than the methanolic extract.
- Monson SM, Coulombe RA, Reed KM. Aflatoxicosis: Lessons from toxicity and responses to aflatoxin B1 in poultry. Agriculture 2015; 5(3): 742-777.
- Girish C, Smith T. Impact of feed-borne mycotoxins on avian cell-mediated and humoral immune responses. World Mycotoxin J 2008; 1(2): 105-121.
- Zhao J, Shirley RB, Dibner JD, et al. Comparison of hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate and yeast cell wall on counteracting aflatoxicosis in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 2010; 89(10): 2147-2156.
- Rosa AP, Uttpatel R, Santurio JM, et al. Performance of broilers derived from breeder hens fed with diets containing AFs and EGM as adsorbent. R Bras Zootec 2012; 41(2): 347-352.
- Kraieski AL, Hayashi RM, Sanches A, et al. Effect of aflatoxin experimental ingestion and Eimeira vaccine challenges on intestinal histopathology and immune cellular dynamic of broilers: applying an intestinal health index. Poult Sci 2017; 96(5): 1078-1087.
- Hussain S, Khan MZ, Khan A, et al. Toxico-pathological effects in rats induced by concurrent exposure to aflatoxin and cypermethrin. Toxicon 2009; 53(1): 33-41.
- El-Mahalaway AM. Protective effect of curcumin against experimentally induced aflatoxicosis on the renal cortex of adult male albino rats: a histological and immunohisochemical study. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2015; 8(6): 6019- 6030.
- Buss P, Caviezel M, Lutz WK. Linear dose-response relationship for DNA adducts in rat liver from chronic exposure to aflatoxin B1. Carcinogenesis 1990; 11(12): 2133-2135.
- Ma H, Zhang N, Sun L, et al. Effects of different substrates and oils on aflatoxin B1 production by Aspergillus parasiticus. Eur Food Res Technol 2015; 240(3): 627-634.
- Huie CW. A review of modern sample-preparation techniques for the extraction and analysis of medicinal plants. Anal Bioanal Chem 2002; 373(1-2): 23-30.
- Zhang L, Dou X-W, Zhang C, et al. A review of current methods for analysis of mycotoxins in herbal medicines. Toxins (Basel) 2018; 10(2):65. doi: 10.3390/toxins10020065.
- National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of poultry. Washington, USA: National Academy of Science Press 1994; 42-43.
- Shotwell OL, Hesseltine CW, Stubblefield RD. Production of aflatoxin on rice. Appl Microbiol 1966; 14(3): 425-428.
- Yazdanpanah H, Zarghi A, Shafaati AR, et al. Analysis of aflatoxin b1 in Iranian foods using HPLC and a monolithic column and estimation of its dietary intake. Iran J Pharm Res 2013; 12(Suppl): 83-89.
- Chen X, Murdoch R, Zhang Q, et al. Effects of dietary protein concentration on performance and nutrient digestibility in Pekin ducks during aflatoxicosis. Poult Sci 2016; 95(4): 834-841.
- Galarza-Seeber R, Latorre JD, Bielke LR, et al. Leaky gut and mycotoxins: Aflatoxin B1 does not increase gut permeability in broiler chickens. Front Vet Sci 2016; 3: 10. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2016.00010.
- Manafi M. Counteracting effect of high grade sodium bentonite during aflatoxicosis in broilers. J Agric Sci Technol 2012; 14 (3): 539-547.
- Girish CK, Devegowda G. Evaluation of modified gluco-mannan (Mycosorb®) and hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate to ameliorate the individual and combined toxicity of aflatoxin and T-2 toxin in broiler chickens. In proceedings: 16th Australian Poultry Science Symposium. Sydney, Australia 2004; 126-129.
- Gowda NKS, Ledoux DR, Rottinghaus GE, et al. Efficacy of turmeric (Curcuma longa), containing a known level of curcumin, and a hydrated sodium calcium alumino-silicate to ameliorate the adverse effects of aflatoxin in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 2008; 87(6): 1125-1130.
- Pasha TN, Farooq MU, Khattak FM, et al. Effectiveness of sodium bentonite and two commercial products as aflatoxin absorbents in diets for broiler chickens. Anim Feed Sci Tech 2007; 132(1-2):103-110.
- Solis-Cruz B, Hernandez-Patlan D, Petrone VM, et al. Evaluation of cellulosic polymers and curcumin to reduce aflatoxin B1 toxic effects on performance, biochemical, and immunological parameters of broiler chickens. Toxins (Basel) 2019; 11(2): 121. doi: 10.3390/toxins11020121.
- Hussain Z, Khan MZ, Saleemi MK, et al. Clinicopatho-logical effects of prolonged intoxication of aflatoxin B1 in broiler chicken. Pak Vet J 2016; 36(4): 477-481.
- Arak H, Karimi Torshizi MA, Hedayati M, et al. Comparative evaluation of aflatoxin and mineral binding activity of molecular imprinted polymer designed for dummy template using in vitro and in vivo Toxicon 2019; 166: 66-75.
- Bbosa GS, Kitya D, Lubega A, et al. Review of the biological and health effects of aflatoxins on body organs and body systems. In: Razzaghi-Abyaneh M (Ed). Aflatoxins: recent advances and future prospects. London, UK: Intech Open Ltd. 2013; 239-265.
- Lavin SR, Karasov WH, Ives AR, et al. Morphometrics of the avian small intestine compared with that of nonflying mammals: a phylogenetic approach.Physiol Biochem Zool 2008; 81(5): 526-550.
- Peng X, Zhang S, Fang J, et al. Protective roles of sodium selenite against aflatoxin B1-induced apoptosis of jejunum in broilers. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2014; 11(12): 13130-13143.
- Applegate TJ, Schatzmayr G, Prickel K, et al. Effect of aflatoxin culture on intestinal function and nutrient loss in laying hens. Poult Sci 2009; 88(6): 1235-1241.
- Awad WA, Böhm J, Razzazi-Fazeli E, et al. Effects of feeding deoxynivalenol contaminated wheat on growth performance, organ weights, and histological parameters of the intestine of broiler chickens. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2006; 90(1-2): 32-37.
- de Santa Barbara P, van den Brink GR, Roberts DJ. Development and differentiation of the intestinal epithelium. Cell Mol Life Sci 2003; 60(7): 1322-1332.
- Jiang JF, Song XM, Huang X, et al. Effects of alfalfa meal on growth performance and gastrointestinal tract development of growing ducks. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2012; 25(10): 1445-1450.
- Wang F, Zuo Z, Chen K, et al. Histopathological injuries, ultrastructural changes, and depressed TLR expression in the small intestine of broiler chickens with aflatoxin B1. Toxins (Basel) 2018; 10(4): 131. doi: 10.3390/ toxins10040131.
- Alassane-Kpembi I, Pinton P, Oswald IP. Effects of mycotoxins on the intestine. Toxins (Basel) 2019; 11(3): 159. doi: 10.3390/toxins11030159.
- Siloto EV, Oliveira EFA, Sartori JR, et al. Lipid metabolism of commercial layers fed diets containing aflatoxin, fumonisin, and a binder. Poult Sci 2013; 92(8): 2077-2083.
- Azizpour A, Moghadam N. Effects of yeast gluco-mannan and sodium bentonite on the toxicity of afla-toxin in broilers. Braz J Poult Sci 2015; 17(spe): 7-13.
- Rawal S, Kim JE, Coulombe Jr R. Aflatoxin B1 in poultry: toxicology, metabolism and prevention. Res Vet Sci 2010; 89(3): 325-331.
- Chen X, Horn N, Cotter PF, et al. Growth, serum biochemistry, complement activity, and liver gene expression responses of Pekin ducklings to graded levels of cultured aflatoxin B1. Poult Sci 2014; 93(8): 2028-2036.
- Rattanasinthuphong K, Tengjaroenkul B, Tengjaro-enkul U, et al. Efficacy of mycosorbents to ameliorate the adverse effects of natural aflatoxin contamination in the diets of Cherry Valley ducks. Livest Res Rural Dev 2017; 29(3). Article #48. http:// www.lrrd.org/ lrrd29/3/teng29048.html. Accessed July 04, 2021.
- Barati M, Chamani M, Mousavi SN, et al. Effect of commercial toxin binder, native probiotic strains, cell wall yeast and aluminosilicate in diets contaminated with aflatoxin, on the expression of GOT2, CYP450 1A5 genes and serum concentrations of liver enzymes in broiler chickens. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2017; 23(6): 953-960.
- Kaki S, Moeini MM, Cheraghi J. Effects of zeolite and mycosorb on serum biochemical and hematological parameters of broilers chicken aflatoxicosis. J. Blood Lymph 2012; 2: 105. doi: 10.4172/2165-7831. 100010542.
- Mary VS, Theumer MG, Arias SL, et al. Reactive oxygen species sources and biomolecular oxidative damage induced by aflatoxin B1 and fumonisin B1 in rat spleen mononuclear cells. Toxicology 2012; 302(2-3): 299-307.
- Alves‐Bezerra M, Cohen DE. Triglyceride metabolism in the liver. Compr Physiol 2011; 8(1): 1-8.
- Rotimi OA, Rotimi SO, Duru CU, et al. Acute aflatoxin B1–Induced hepatotoxicity alters gene expression and disrupts lipid and lipoprotein metabolism in rats. Toxicol Rep 2017; 4: 408-414.
- Kumar R, Balachandran C. Histopathological changes in broiler chickens fed aflatoxin and cyclopiazonic acid. Vet Arh 2009; 79 (1): 31-40.
- Colakoglu F, Donmez HH. Effects of aflatoxin on liver and protective effectiveness of esterified glucomannan in Merino rams. Sci World J 2012; 2012-462925. doi: 10.1100/2012/462925.
- Gholami-Ahangaran M, Rangsaz N, Azizi S. Evaluation of turmeric (Curcuma longa) effect on biochemical and pathological parameters of liver and kidney in chicken aflatoxicosis. Pharm Biol 2016; 54(5): 780-787.