Document Type : Original Article
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Southwest University, Chongqing China
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China
Chongqing Sanjiezhongxin Bioengineering Co., Ltd, Chongqing, China
The gosling gout, a newly emerged disease, has widely broken out in China since 2017. Typical signs for the disease include diarrhea, anorexia, depression, dehydration, emaciation and paralysis. At autopsy, uratosis was the main pathological change which could be found at kidney, pericardium, air sac, muscle and leg joint. In this study, gosling gout was firstly diagnosed by metagenomic analysis. Samples of kidney, Fabricius bursa, spleen and jejunum were collected and submitted to next-generation DNA sequencing. Our results demonstrated that goose avastrovirus was highly related with this disease. We confirmed the sequencing results by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction method and artificial infection experiment and got consistent results. In summary, metagenomic sequencing method combined with traditional molecular identification was applied toward diagnosis of a novel gosling gout disease in China and revealed that goose avastrovirus was highly related with this disease. It has been proved to be a powerful tool for rapid and sensitive diagnosis of animal diseases, especially for some exceptional pathogens. In addition, host range, variation, molecular pathogenesis and potential zoonotic infection of this novel goose astrovirus need to be further studied.
- Zhang Y, Wang F, Liu N, et al. Complete genome sequence of a novel avastrovirus in goose. Arch Virol 2017; 162(7): 2135-2139.
- Li K, Gao H, Gao L, et al. Development of TaqMan real-time PCR assay for detection and quantitation of reticuloendotheliosis virus. J Virol Methods 2012; 179(2): 402-408.
- Miller PJ, Torchetti MK. Newcastle disease virus detection and differentiation from avian influenza. Methods Mol Biol 2014; 1161: 235-239.
- Spackman E. Avian influenza virus detection and quantitation by real-time RT-PCR. Methods Mol Biol 2014; 1161: 105-118.
- Wan C, Huang Y, Cheng L, et al. The development of a rapid SYBR Green I-based quantitative PCR for detection of Duck circovirus. Virol J 2011; 8: 465. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-8-465.
- Wan C, Shi S, Chen C, et al. Development of a PCR assay for detection and differentiation of Muscovy duck and goose parvoviruses based on NS gene characterization. J Vet Med Sci 2018; 80(12): 1861-1866.
- Wang Y, Zhu S, Hong W, et al. A multiplex PCR for detection of six viruses in ducks. J Virol Methods 2017; 248: 172-176.
- Zhang YF, Xie ZX, Xie LJ, et al. GeXP analyzer-based multiplex reverse-transcription PCR assay for the simultaneous detection and differentiation of eleven duck viruses. BMC Microbiol 2015; 15: 247. doi: 10.1186/s12866-015-0590-6.
- Miller RR, Montoya V, Gardy JL, et al. Metagenomics for pathogen detection in public health. Genome Med 2013; 5(9): 81. doi: 10.1186/gm485.
- Bibby K. Metagenomic identification of viral pathogens. Trends Biotechnol 2013; 31(5): 275-279.
- Brown JR, Bharucha T, Breuer J. Encephalitis diagnosis using metagenomics: application of next generation sequencing for undiagnosed cases. J Infect 2018; 76(3): 225-240.
- Yuan X, Meng K, Zhang Y, et al. Genome analysis of newly emerging goose-origin nephrotic astrovirus in China reveals it belongs to a novel genetically distinct astrovirus. Infect Genet Evol 2019; 67: 1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2018.10.014.13.
- Zhang X, Ren D, Li T, et al. An emerging novel goose astrovirus associated with gosling gout disease, China. Emerg Microbes Infec 2018; 7: 152. doi: 10.1038/s41426-018-0153-7.
- Bulbule NR, Mandakhalikar KD, Kapgate SS, et al. Role of chicken astrovirus as a causative agent of gout in commercial broilers in India. Avian Pathol 2013; 42(5): 464-473.