Document Type : Original Article
Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Faculty of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Mohaghegh Ardabili, Ardabil, Iran
Kisspeptin is a hypothalamic peptide which stimulates hypothalamus- pituitary- gonadal (HPG) axis. Morphine is an alkaloid which suppresses reproduction. Ghrelin and leptin are metabolic peptides which play role in relaying information to the HPG axis. In the present study, the interaction effects of kisspeptin and morphine were investigated on plasma and gene expression levels of leptin and ghrelin. Twenty adult male Wistar rats in four groups received injection of saline, kisspeptin (1nmol), morphine (5mg kg-1) or kisspeptin+ morphine. Rats received kisspeptin and morphine via third cerebral ventricular and subcutaneous injection respectively. Ten male rats in two groups received intravenous injection of saline or kisspeptin (7/5nmol). Blood samples, hypothalamic and adipose tissue samples were collected. Plasma and gene expression levels of ghrelin and leptin were measured by using the methods of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and real time-PCR respectively. Morphine significantly increased plasma concentration and hypothalamic mRNA levels of ghrelin compared to saline while kisspeptin significantly decreased them compared to saline. Morphine significantly decreased plasma and mRNA levels of leptin in adipose tissue compared to saline but kisspeptin did not increase plasma and mRNA levels of leptin in adipose tissue compared to saline. Kisspeptin significantly decreased the effects of morphine on plasma concentration and hypothalamic gene expression levels of ghrelin compared to alone morphine but it did not affect morphine’s influence on plasma and leptin gene expression levels compared to alone morphine. Kisspeptin and morphine may be involved in the regulation of reproductive activity partly via regulation the metabolic hormones synthesis.
- Tsutsumi R, Webster NJ. GnRH pulsatility, the pituitary response and reproductive dysfunction. Endocr J 2009; 56(6): 729-737.
- Moenter SM, Chu Z, Christian CA. Neurobiological mechanisms underlying oestradiol negative and positive feedback regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons. J Neuroendocrinol 2009; 21(4): 327-333.
- Vuong C, Van Uum SHM, O'Dell LE, et al. The effects of opioids and opioid analogs on animal and human endocrine systems. Endocr Rev 2010; 31(1): 98-132.
- Ceccarelli I, De Padova AM, Fiorenzani P, et al. Single opioid administration modifies gonadal steroids in both the CNS and plasma of male rats. Neuroscience 2006; 140(3): 929-937.
- Meczekalski B, Katulski K, Podfigurna-Stopa A, et al. Spontaneous endogenous pulsatile release of kisspeptin is temporally coupled with luteinizing hormone in healthy women. Fertil Steril 2016; 105(5): 1345-1350.
- Lippincott MF, Chan YM, Delaney A, et al. Kisspeptin responsiveness signals emergence of reproductive endocrine activity: implications for human puberty. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016; 101(8): 3061-3069.
- Thompson EL, Patterson M, Murphy KG, et al. Central and peripheral administration of kisspeptin-10 stimulates the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. J Neuroendocrinol 2004; 16(10): 850-858.
- Dudek M, Ziarniak K, Sliwowska JH. Kisspeptin and metabolism: the brain and beyond. Front Enocrinol (Lausanne) 2018; 9: doi: 10.3389/fendo.2018.00145.
- Odle AK, Akhter N, Syed MM, et al. Leptin regulation of gonadotrope gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptors as a metabolic checkpoint and gateway to reproductive competence. Front Enocrinol (Lausanne) 2018; 8:367. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2017.00367.
- Zhang J, Gong M. Review of the role of leptin in the regulation of male reproductive function. Andrologia 2018; 50(4): e12965. doi:10.1111/and.12965.
- Lv Y, Liang T, Wang G, et al. Ghrelin, a gastrointestinal hormone, regulates energy balance and lipid metabolism. Biosci Rep 2018; 38(5): BSR20181061 doi: 10.1042/BSR20181061.
- Farkas I, Vastagh C, Sárvári M, et al. Ghrelin decreases firing activity of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons in an estrous cycle and endocannabinoid signaling dependent manner. PLoS One 2013; 8(10): e78178. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0078178.
- Navarro VM, Kaiser UB. Metabolic influences on neuroendocrine regulation of reproduction. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2013; 20(4): 335-341.
- Sagheb MM, Azarpira N, Mokhtary M. Effect of ghrelin on Kiss-1 and KissR gene transcription and insulin secretion in rat islets of Langerhans and CRI-D2 cell line. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20(1): 36-40.
- Wahab F, Bano R, Jabeen S, et al. Effect of peripheral kisspeptin administration on adiponectin, leptin, and resistin secretion under fed and fasting conditions in the adult male rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). Horm Metab Res 2010; 42(8): 570-574.
- Gurjinder K, Gurcharan K. Role of cholinergic and GABAergic neurotransmission in the opioids-mediated GnRH release mechanism of EBP-primed OVX rats. Mol Cell Biochem 2001; 219(1-2): 13-19.
- Khazali H, Mahmoudi F, Janahmadi M. Hypothalamic KiSS1/GPR54 gene expressions and luteinizing hormone plasma secretion in morphine treated male rats. Int J Fertil Steril 2018; 12(3): 223-228.
- Adachi S, Yamada S, Takatsu Y, et al. Involvement of anteroventral periventricular metastin/kisspeptin neurons in estrogen positive feedback action on luteinizing hormone release in female rats. J Reprod Dev 2007; 53(2): 367-378.
- Smith JT, Acohido BV, Clifton DK, et al. KiSS-1 neurones are direct targets for leptin in the ob/ob mouse. J Neuroendocrinol 2006; 18(4): 298-303.
- Mahmoudi F, Khazali H, Janahmadi M. Morphine attenuates testosterone response to central injection of kisspeptin in rats. Int J Fertil Steril 2014; 8(2): 215-220.
- Lanfranco F, Bonelli L, Baldi M, et al. Acylated ghrelin inhibits spontaneous luteinizing hormone pulsatility and responsiveness to naloxone but not that to gonadotropin-releasing hormone in young men: evidence for a central inhibitory action of ghrelin on the gonadal axis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93(9), 3633-3639.
- Ogata R, Matsuzaki T, Iwasa T, et al. Hypothalamic ghrelin suppresses pulsatile secretion of luteinizing hormone via beta-endorphin in ovariectomized rats. Neuroendocrinology 2009; 90(4): 364-370.
- Vettor R, Pagano C, Fabris R, et al. Lipolytic effect of beta-endorphin in human fat cells. Life Sci 1993; 52(7): 657-661.
- Cabioğlu MT, Ergene N. Changes in serum leptin and beta endorphin levels with weight loss by electroacupuncture and diet restriction in obesity treatment. Am J Chin Med 2006; 34(1): 1-11.
- Sadeghzadeh A, Bayrami A, Mahmoudi F, et al. The effects of interaction of dopaminergic and kisspeptin neural pathways on ghrelin secretion in rats. Arch Adv Biosci 2018; 9(1): 29-35.
- Foradori CD, Whitlock BK, Daniel JA, et al. Kisspeptin stimulates growth hormone release by utilizing neuropeptide Y pathways and is dependent on the presence of ghrelin in the ewe. Endocrinology 2017; 158(10): 3526-3539.
- Nonogaki K, Ohashi-Nozue K, Oka Y. A negative feedback system between brain serotonin systems and plasma active ghrelin levels in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2006; 341(3): 703-707.
- Pruszyńska-Oszmałek E, Kołodziejski PA, Sassek M, et al. Kisspeptin-10 inhibits proliferation and regulates lipolysis and lipogenesis processes in 3T3-L1 cells and isolated rat adipocytes. Endocrine 2017; 56(1): 54-64.
- Quennell JH, Howell CS, Roa J, et al. Leptin deficiency and diet-induced obesity reduce hypothalamic kisspeptin expression in mice. Endocrinology 2011; 152(4): 1541-1550.
- Luo Q, Li W, Li M, et al. Leptin/leptinR-kisspeptin/ kiss1r-GnRH pathway reacting to regulate puberty onset during negative energy balance. Life Sci 2016; 153: 207-212.
- Castellano JM, Navarro VM, Fernández-Fernández R, et al. Expression of hypothalamic KiSS-1 system and rescue of defective gonadotropic responses by kisspeptin in streptozotocin-induced diabetic male rats. Diabetes 2006; 55(9): 2602-2610.