Document Type : Short Communication
Division of Animal Health, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) Research Complex for North Eastern Hill Region, Umiam, India
Department of Microbiology, Goa University, Taleigaon Plateau, India
ICAR-National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad, India
Listeria monocytogenes is a pathogen of great concern to the food industry. The present study was aimed to explore the clonal relationships amongst L. monocytogenes strains isolated from foods of animal origin (milk, beef, chevon (goat meat), pork and chicken) and fish. Forty-six L. monocytogenes strains were characterized by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). The PFGE analysis using ApaI and AscI enzymes revealed 37 pulsotypes, with Simpson’s discriminatory index of 0.987. This study demonstrated the presence of a few similar L. monocytogenes pulsotypes in different foods of animal origin in different places and years of isolation and this indicates that some L. monocytogenes subtypes may be ubiquitous which are acclimatizing and persisting in different foods of animal origin. This also emphasizes the importance of cross-contamination in local wet markets. Thus, the understanding of genetic diversity will contribute to the development of rational and workable strategies to control this important zoonotic infection.
- Drevets DA, Bronze MS. Listeria monocytogenes: epidemiology, human disease and mechanisms of brain invasion. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 2008; 53(2): 151-165.
- Ooi ST, Lorber B. Gastroenteritis due to Listeria mono-cytogenes. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40(9): 1327-1332.
- Jay JM, Loessner MJ, Golden DA. Modern food microbiology; 7th New York, USA: Springer Science 2005; 591-611.
- Barbuddhe SB, Swain BK, Chakurkar EB, et al. Microbial quality of poultry meat with special reference to Listeria monocytogenes. Indian J Poul Sci 2003; 38(3): 305-307.
- Nayak JB, Brahmbhatt MN, Savalia CV, et al. Detection and characterization of Listeria species from buffalo meat. Buffalo Bull 2010; 29(2): 83-87.
- Raorane AV, Doijad SP, Poharkar KV, et al. Isolation and genotypic characterization of Listeria monocytogenes from pork and pork products. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci 2015; 4(1): 788-798.
- Sharma S, Sharma V, Dahiya DK, et al. Prevalence, virulence potential, and antibiotic susceptibility profile of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from bovine raw milk samples obtained from Rajasthan, India. Foodborne Pathog Dis 2017; 14(3): 132-140.
- Kaur S, Singh R, Sran MK, et al. Molecular characterization of Listeria monocytogenes in white meat samples from Punjab, India. Indian J Anim Res 2017; B-3414: doi:10.18805/ijar.B-34141-7.
- Negi M, Vergis J, Vijay D, et al. Genetic diversity, virulence potential and antimicrobial susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes recovered from different sources in India. Pathog Dis 2015; 73(9): ftv093. doi: 10.1093/femspd/ftv093.
- Fox EM, deLappe N, Garvey P, et al. PFGE analysis of Listeria monocytogenes isolates of clinical, animal, food and environmental origin from Ireland. J Med Microbiol 2012; 61(Pt 4): 540-547.
- Lawrence LM, Harvey J, Gilmour A. Development of a random amplification of polymorphic DNA typing method for Listeria monocytogenes. Appl Environ Microbiol 1993; 59(9): 3117-3119.
- Soni DK, Singh RK, Singh DV, et al. Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from Ganges water, human clinical and milk samples at Varanasi, India. Infect Genet Evol 2013; 14: 83-91.
- Swaminathan B, Barrett TJ, Hunter SB, et al. PulseNet: the molecular subtyping network for food borne bacterial disease surveillance, United States. Emerg Infect Dis 2001; 7(3): 382-389.
- Doumith M, Buchrieser C, Glaser P, et al. Differentiation of the major Listeria monocytogenes serovars by multi-plex PCR. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42(8): 3819-3822.
- Graves LM, Swaminathan B. PulseNet standardized protocol for subtyping Listeria monocytogenes by macro restriction and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Int J Food Microbiol 2001; 65(1-2): 55-62.
- Miettinen MK, Siitonen A, Heiskanen P, et al. Molecular epidemiology of an outbreak of febrile gastroenteritis caused by Listeria monocytogenes in cold-smoked rainbow trout. J Clin Microbiol 1999; 37(7):
- Hunter PR, Gaston MA. Numerical index of the discriminatory ability of typing systems: an application of Simpson’s index of diversity. J Clin Microbiol 1988; 26(11): 2465-2466.
- Autio T, Lundén J, Fredriksson-Ahomaa M, et al. Similar Listeria monocytogenespulsotypes detected in several foods originating from different sources. Int J Food Microbiol 2002; 77(1-2): 83-90.
- Filiousis G, Johansson A, Frey J, et al. Prevalence, genetic diversity and antimicrobial susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from open-air food markets in Greece. Food Control 2009; 20(3): 314-317.
- Gianfranceschi MV, D'Ottavio MC, Gattuso A, et al. Distribution of serotypes and pulsotypes of Listeria monocytogenes from human, food and environmental isolates (Italy 2002–2005). Food Microbiol 2009; 26(5): 520-526.