Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahrekord Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shahrekord, Iran
DVM Graduate, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahrekord Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shahrekord, Iran
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University, Al-kharj, Saudi Arabia
Department of Anesthesia Techniques, Al-Mustaqbal University College, Babylon, Iraq
Department of Science, Al-Nisour University College, Baghdad, Iraq
Anti-microbial resistant genes could be passed to human via the food chain or by direct contact with infected birds. To evaluate tetracycline resistance genes in the feces of companion birds suspected to enteritis, 100 fecal samples were collected from diarrheic companion birds in Isfahan province, Iran. The presence of Escherichia coli was examined by bacteriological, biochemical, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests. The presence of genes associated with resistance to tetracycline (tetA, tetB, tetC, tetD, tetE, tetG, tetK, tetL, tetM, tetO and tetS genes) was examined using a multiplex PCR. The results showed that in enteric birds, 43.00% of fecal samples contained E. coli. In 26 resistant E. coli, 11, 12 and 3 strains contained tetA (42.30%), tetB (46.15) and tetA plus tetB (11.53%) resistant genes, respectively. In conclusion, E. coli isolates from the enteric problem of companion birds contained tetracycline resistant genes that may transfer to human and pose a risk for antibiotic effectiveness in the treatment of infectious diseases in human.
- Dorrestein GM. Passerines. In: Tully T, Dorrestein G, Jones A (Eds). Handbook of avian medicine. Philadelphia, USA: WB Saunders 2009; 330-360.
- Cupertino MC, Resende MB, Mayer NA, et al. Emerging and re-emerging human infectious diseases: A systematic review of the role of wild animals with a focus on public health impact. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2020; 13(3): 99-106.
- Sengeløv G, Halling-Sørensen B, Aarestrup FM. Susceptibility of Escherichia coli and Enterococcus faecium isolated from pigs and broiler chickens to tetracycline degradation products and distribution of tetracycline resistance determinants in coli from food animals. Vet Microbiol 2003; 95(1-2): 91-101.
- Roberts MC. Tetracycline resistance determinants: mechanisms of action, regulation of expression, genetic mobility, and distribution. FEMS Microbiol Rev 1996; 19(1): 1-24.
- Gholami-Ahangaran M, Zia-Jahromi N. Identification of shiga toxin and intimin genes in Escherichia coli detected from canary (Serinus canaria domestica). Toxicol Ind Health 2014; 30(8): 724- 727.
- Gholami-Ahangaran M, Zinsaz P, Pourmahdi O, et al. Tetracycline resistance genes in Escherichia coli strains isolated from biofilm of drinking water system in poultry farms. Acta Vet Eurasia 2022; 48(1): 64-68.
- Feng P, Weagant SD, Grant MA. Enumeration of Escherichia coli and the coliform bacteria. Bacterio-logical analytical manual. 8th Washington DC, USA; US FDA center for food safety and applied nutrition publishing 2002; 78-81.
- Sabat G, Rose P, Hickey WJ, et al. Selective and sensitive method for PCR amplification of Escherichia coli 16S rRNA genes in soil. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000; 66(2): 844-849.
- Ng LK, Martin I, Alfa M, et al. Multiplex PCR for the detection of tetracycline resistant genes. Mol Cell Probes 2001; 15(4): 209-215.
- Giacopello C, Foti M, Fisichella V, et al. Antibiotic- resistance patterns of Gram-negative bacterial isolates from breeder canaries (Serinus canaria domestica) with clinical disease. J Exot Pet Med 2015; 24(1): 84-91.
- Gholami-Ahangaran M, Moravvej AH, Safizadeh Z, et al. The evaluation of ESBL genes and antibiotic resistance rate in Escherichia coli strains isolated from meat and intestinal contents of turkey in Isfahan, Iran. Iran J Vet Res 2021; 22(4): 318-325.
- Beleza AJ, Maciel WC, Carreira AS, et al. Detection of Enterobacteriaceae, antimicrobial susceptibility, and virulence genes of Escherichia coli in canaries (Serinus canaria) in northeastern Brazil. Pesq Vet Bras 2019; 39(3): 201-208.
- Horn RV, Cardoso WM, Lopes ES, et al. Identification and antimicrobial resistance of members from the Enterobacteriaceae family isolated from canaries (Serinus canaria). Pesq Vet Bras 2015; 35(6): 552-556.
- Hidasi HW, Hidasi Neto J, Moraes DM, et al. Enterobacterial detection and Escherichia coli antimicrobial resistance in parrots seized from the illegal wildlife trade. J Zoo Wildl Med 2013; 44(1): 1-7.
- Pontes PS, Coutinho SDA, Iovine RO, et al. Survey on pathogenic Escherichia coliand Salmonella in captive cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus). Braz J Microbiol 2018; 49(Suppl 1): 76-82.
- Machado DN, Lopes ES, Albuquerque AH, et al. Isolation and antimicrobial resistance Profiles of Enterobacteria from nestling grey-breasted parakeets (Pyrrhura griseipectus). Rev Bras Cienc Avic 2018; 20(1): 103-110.
- Bryan A, Shapir N, Sadowsky MJ. Frequency and distribution of tetracycline resistance genes in genetically diverse, nonselected, and nonclinical Escherichia coli strains isolated from diverse human and animal sources. Appl Environ Microbiol 2004; 70(4): 2503-2507.
- Nsofor CA, Iroegbu CU, Call DR, et al. Detection of antibiotic resistance genes of Escherichia coli from domestic livestock in southeast Nigeria with DNA microarray. J Cell Anim Biol 2013; 7(12): 149-163.
- Koo HJ, Woo GJ. Distribution and transferability of tetracycline resistance determinants in Escherichia coli isolated from meat and meat products. Int J Food Microbiol 2011; 145(2-3): 407-413.