Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Department of Biology, Faculty of Basic Science, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
A 9-year-old spayed female Terrier dog was evaluated for lethargy, anorexia, polyuria, polydipsia and dysuria. The dog had been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus about 6 months ago and received subcutaneous doses of insulin. The patient showed insulin resistance and severe persistent fasting hyperglycemia in the face of high-dose insulin treatment, hyper-cholesterolemia and urinary tract infection. After a complete evaluation, the dog was diagnosed with a polycystic ovary and a cystic uterine remnant during an exploratory celiotomy. The polycystic ovary and cystic uterine remnant were removed and submitted for histopathological evaluation. Two weeks after surgery the blood glucose level and one month later serum cholesterol level were controlled, using a low level of insulin therapy (0.25 IU kg-1 Neutral Protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin, every 12 hr). In the present study, the clinical and laboratory results showed that ovarian remnant syndrome as an infrequently encountered condition in dog was related to some metabolic disorders such as insulin resistance, uncontrolled hyperglycemia, dyslipidemia and also recurrence urinary tract infection. To the best of authors’ knowledge, no reports of hypercholesterolemia in dog have been made before as a complication of ovarian remnant syndrome.
- Pearson H. The complications of ovariohysterectomy in the bitch. J Small Anim Pract 1973; 14(5): 257-266.
- Ball RL, Birchard SJ, May LR, et al. Ovarian remnant syndrome in dogs and cats: 21 cases (2000-2007). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010; 236(5): 548-553.
- Fall T, Johansson Kreuger S, Juberget A, et al. Gestational diabetes mellitus in 13 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2008; 22(6): 1296-1300.
- Eigenmann JE, Eigenmann RY, Rijnberk A, et al. Progesterone-controlled growth hormone overproduction and naturally occurring canine diabetes and acromegaly. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1983; 104(2): 167-176.
- Pöppl AG, Mottin TS, González FH. Diabetes mellitus remission after resolution of inflammatory and progesterone-related conditions in bitches. Res Vet Sci 2013; 94(3): 471-473.
- Comazzi S, Pieralisi C, Bertazzolo W. Haematological and biochemical abnormalities in canine blood: frequency and associations in 1022 samples. J Small Anim Pract 2004; 45(7): 343-349.
- Tilley LP. Smith Jr FWK. Blackwell's five-minute veterinary consult: canine and feline. 4th Victoria, Australia: Blackwell 2008; 1492.
- Nelson RW, Couto Guillermo C. Small animal internal medicine. 6th Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier Health Sciences 2020; 908-914.
- Vaden SL, Knoll JS, Smith Jr FWK, et al. Blackwell's five-minute veterinary consult: laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures: canine and feline. 1st Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell 2009; 495-497.
- Boucher J, Kleinridders A, Kahn CR. Insulin receptor signaling in normal and insulin-resistant states. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2014; 6(1): a009191. doi: 10.1101/cshperspect.a009191.
- Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC, Cote E. Textbook of veterinary internal medicine. 8th Philadelphia, USA: WB Saunders 2017; 4280-4282.
- Feldman EC, Nelson RW. Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction, 3rd Toronto, Canada: WB Saunders Company 2003: 526-527.
- Xenoulis PG, Suchodolski JS, Levinski MD, et al. Investigation of hypertriglyceridemia in healthy Miniature Schnauzers. J Vet Intern Med 2007; 21(6): 1224-1230.
- Gans JH, Cater MR. Hypercholesterolemia of streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus in dogs. Life Sci II 1971; 10(6): 301-308.
- Zanetti ME, Tennent DM. Hormonal hypercholesterolemia in the dog: influence of niacin, niacinamide, benzmalecene, and cholestyramine resin. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1963; 112: 991-995.
- Kelly CC, Lyall H, Petrie JR, et al. Low grade chronic inflammation in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86(6): 2453-2455.
- Koh GC, Peacock SJ, van der Poll T, et al. The impact of diabetes on the pathogenesis of sepsis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2012; 31(4): 379-388.
- Meshkani R, Adeli K. Hepatic insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Clin Biochem 2009; 42(13-14): 1331-1346.
- Duncan KSLJR. Generating and interpreting test results: test validity, quality control, reference values, and basic epidemiology. In: Latimer KS (Ed.). Duncan and Prasse's veterinary laboratory medicine: clinical pathology. 5th Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell 2011; 365-382.