Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Private Veterinary Practitioner, Aftab Pets Specialty Clinic, Mashhad, Iran
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
A 14-year-old female Shih Tzu was presented with conjunctivitis, keratitis, an enlarged mass located on the left lower eyelid and a large subcutaneous cyst in the temporal region. The hematological and biochemical analyses revealed no significant issues. The mass and the cyst were taken from the base with 1.50 cm of the underlying tissue. On histological examination, the mass was made up of adenoid arrangements of sebocytes and basaloid reserve cells with low to moderate mitotic activity of basaloid cells. In addition, a large number of meibomian ducts with marked infiltration of mononuclear inflammatory cells and melanin pigment were observed in the ductal part of the tumor. The cyst was lined by a simple cuboid-like epithelium with no eosinophilic cuticular lining. Immuno-histochemical staining of the mass with CK14 showed positive reaction in the neoplastic basaloid reserve cells and adipocytes; but, not with CK18 and vimentin. Unlike, the luminal cells of the cyst were stained with CK18. The co-existence of mixed meibomian gland and ductal adenoma with an apocrine sweat gland cyst was diagnosed based on the clinical, histological and immunohistochemical findings.
- Demirutku A, Devecioglu Y, Eravci E, et al. Meibomian adenoma in a Syrian hamster (Mesocricetus auratus): a case report. Vet Med (Praha) 2013; 58(12): 641-644.
- Gokhan N, Sozmen M, Ozba B, et al. Meibomian carcinoma of the eyelid in a Simmental cow. Vet Ophthalmol 2010; 13(5): 336-338.
- Choi SK, Park JK, Jeon WB, et al. Meibomian epithelioma of the lower eyelid in a Thoroughbred horse. Pak Vet J 2013; 33(2): 244-247.
- Goldschmidt MH, Goldschmidt KH. Epithelial and melanocytic tumors of the skin. In: Meuten DJ (Ed). Tumors in domestic animals. 5th Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell 2020; 88-141.
- Mauldin EA, Peters-Kennedy J. Integumentary system. In: Maxie MG (Ed). Jubb, Kennedy and Palmer’s pathology of domestic animals. 6th Vol. 1. Pennsylvania, USA: W.B. Saunders 2016; 509-736.e1.
- Yoon JS, Park J. Immunohistochemical characterization of sebaceous epithelioma in two dogs. Iran J Vet Res 2016; 17(2): 134-136.
- Wang SL, Dawson C, Wei LN, et al. The investigation of histopathology and locations of excised eyelid masses in dogs. Vet Rec Open 2019; 6(1): e000344. doi:10.1136/vetreco-2019-000344.
- Yuksel H, Gulbahar MY, Aslan L. Congenital synchronous adenomas of meibomian and moll glands of the eyelid in a calf. Vet Med - Czech 2005; 50(8): 379-383.
- Tavasoli A, Javanbakht J, Shafiee R, et al. Cytological and histopathology features of meibomian adeno-carcinoma in a dog Terrier breed. J Clin Exp Pathol 2012; 2: 120. doi:10.4172/2161-0681.1000120.
- Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Walder EJ, et al. Sebaceous tumors. In: Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Walder EJ, et al (Eds). Skin diseases of the dog and cat: clinical and histopathologic diagnosis, 2nd Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2005; 641-659.
- Yasuno K, Nishiyama S, Suetsugu F, et al. Cutaneous clear cell adnexal carcinoma in a dog: special reference to cytokeratin expression. J Vet Med Sci 2009; 71(11): 1513-1517.
- Rajak SN, James C, Selva D. The clinical, histological and immunohistochemical characteristics and nomenclature of meibomian gland ductal cysts (intratarsal keratinous cysts) and eyelid steato-cystomas. Eye (Lond) 2017; 31(5): 736-740.