Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Firat, Elazig, Turkiye
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Namik Kemal, Tekirdag, Turkiye
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Kastamonu, Kastamonu, Turkiye
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bingol, Bingol, Turkiye
Department of Zootechny, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Firat, Elazig, Turkiye
The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between mastitis and supra-mammary lymph nodes in lactating cows in terms of Pulsed-wave (PW) Doppler ultrasonographical measurements. A total of 102 head cows in lactation period were divided into three groups. The cows in which all mammary lobes were California mastitis test (CMT)-negative (n = 27) formed the 1st group; those with CMT-positive mammary lobe (n = 43) formed the 2nd group and the cows with clinical mastitis in at least one mammary lobe (n = 32) formed the 3rd group. In PW Doppler ultrasonography, end-diastolic velocity, systolic peak velocity and time-averaged maximum velocity were measured at the most prominent artery of the lymph node. A quantitative scaling was performed by determining the pulsatile index and resistance index scales based on blood flow parameters. There was no statistically significant difference between the study groups in terms of PW Doppler ultrasonographical measurements of supra-mammary lymph nodes. In conclusion, the use of PW Doppler ultrasonographic data of the supra-mammary lymph nodes will not provide useful information about the current condition of mastitis in cows.
- Kimura K, Harp JA, Goff JP, et al. Lymphocytes from one side of the bovine mammary gland migrate to the contra lateral gland and lymph node tissue. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2005; 108(3-4): 409-415.
- Bradley KJ, Bradley AJ, Barr FJ. Ultrasonographic appearance of the superficial supramammary lymph nodes in lactating dairy cattle. Vet Rec 2001; 148(16): 497-501.
- Khoramian B, Vajhi A, Ghasemzadeh-Nava H, et al. Ultrasonography of the supramammary lymph nodes for diagnosis of bovine chronic subclinical mastitis. Iran J Vet Res 2015; 16(1): 75-77.
- Erdoğan G, Çetin H, Ceylan A, et al. Comparison of foetal growth in singleton and twin pregnancies by B-mode and Doppler ultrasonography in Karya ewes. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2016; 40(5): 616-621.
- Rişvanli A, Doğan H, Saat N, et al. Relationship between pulsed wave Doppler ultrasonographic features of milk veins and CMT scores in Simmental cows. Ankara Üniv Vet Fak Derg 2018; 65(1): 69-72.
- Seker I, Risvanli A, Yuksel M, et al. Relationship between California Mastitis Test scores and ultrasono-graphic teat measurements in dairy cows. Aust Vet J 2009; 87(12): 480-483.
- Dzięcioł M, Scholbach T, Stańczyk E, et al. Dynamic tissue perfusion measurement in the reproductive
organs of the female and male dogs. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2014; 58(1): 149-155.
- Starke A, Schmidt S, Haudum A, et al. Evaluation of portal blood flow using transcutaneous and intraoperative Doppler ultrasonography in dairy cows with fatty liver. J Dairy Sci 2011; 94(6):
- Brozos CN, Pancarci MS, Valencia J, et al. Effect of oxytocin infusion on luteal blood flow and progesterone secretion in dairy cattle. J Vet Sci 2012; 13(1): 67-71.
- Gaschen L, Angelette N, Stout R. Contrast‐enhanced harmonic ultrasonography of medial iliac lymph nodes in healthy dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2010; 51(6): 634-637.
- Na DG, Lim HK, Byun HS, et al. Differential diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy: usefulness of color Doppler sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997; 168(5): 1311-1316.
- Tschammler A, Gunzer U, Reinhart E, et al. The diagnostic assessment of enlarged Iymph nodes by qualitative and semiquantitative evaluation of lymph node perfusion with color-coded duplex sonography [German]. Rofo 1991; 154(4): 414-418.
- Yilmaz O, Balta ZD, Tunçbilek I, et al. Ultrasonographic findings addition for the differentation of malign and benign lenfadenopaty [Turkish]. S.D.Ü Sağlık Enstitüsü Dergisi 2012; 3(1): 1-9.
- Chang DB, Yuan A, Yu CJ, et al. Differentiation of benign and malignant cervical lymph nodes with color Doppler sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1994; 162(4): 965-968.