Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Specialized Veterinary Science, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Shahid Bahonar University, Kerman, Iran
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Kobuviruses are viral pathogens with broad host range presented in human gastroenteritis cases; but, the pathogenesis of these viruses in companion animals is not well described. In the present study, the presence of canine (CaKVs) and feline kobuviruses (FeKVs) was detected in the 100 fecal samples of diarrhoeic and healthy companion dogs and cats by polymerase chain reaction in Tehran, Iran. The prevalence of infection was estimated as 8.00% and 4.00% in dogs and cats, respectively. All positive samples were belonged to non-diarrhoeic animals except for a feline sample being co-infected with panleukopenia. Sequence analysis showed multiple point mutations in canine and feline Iranian strains and new feline strain was detected in the present study. This is the first detection of CaKVs and FeKVs in Iran; but, the exact role of these enteric viral pathogens and their zoonotic risks are better to be clarified in all endemic regions.
- Adams MJ, King AM, Carstens EB. Ratification vote on taxonomic proposals to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Arch Virol 2013; 158: 2023-2030.
- Yamashita T, Sakae K, Tsuzuki H, et al. Complete nucleotide sequence and genetic organization of Aichi virus, a distinct member of the Picornaviridae associated with acute gastroenteritis in humans. J Virol 1998; 72(10): 8408-8412.
- Yamashita T, Ito M, Kabashima Y, et al. Isolation and characterization of a new species of kobuvirus associated with cattle. J Gen Virol 2003; 84(Pt 11): 3069-3077.
- Reuter G, Boldizsár A, Kiss I, et al. Candidate new species of Kobuvirus in porcine hosts. Emerg Infect Dis 2008; 14(12): 1968-1970.
- Kapoor A, Simmonds P, Dubovi EJ, et al. Characterization of a canine homolog of human Aichivirus. J Virol 2011; 85(21): 11520-11525.
- Li L, Pesavento PA, Shan T, et al. Viruses in diarrhoeic dogs include novel kobuviruses and sapoviruses. J Gen Virol 2011; 92(Pt 11): 2534-2541.
- Li C, Wei S, Guo D, et al. Prevalence and phylogenetic analysis of canine kobuviruses in diarrhoetic dogs in northeast China. J Vet Med Sci 2016; 78(1): 7-11.
- Chung JY, Kim SH, Kim YH, et al. Detection and genetic characterization of feline kobuviruses. Virus Genes 2013; 47(3): 559-562.
- Carmona-Vicente N, Buesa J, Brown PA, et al. Phylogeny and prevalence of kobuviruses in dogs and cats in the UK. Vet Microbiol 2013; 164(3-4): 246-252.
- Oh DY, Silva PA, Hauroeder B, et al. Molecular characterization of the first Aichi viruses isolated in Europe and in South America. Arch Virol 2006; 151(6): 1199-1206.
- Ribes JM, Montava R, Téllez-Castillo CJ, et al. Sero-prevalence of Aichi virus in a Spanish population from 2007 to 2008. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2010; 17(4): 545-549.
- Goyer M, Aho LS, Bour JB, et al. Seroprevalence, distribution of Aichi virus among a French population in 2006-2007. Arch Virol 2008; 153(6): 1171-1174.
- Lee MH, Jeoung HY, Lim JA, et al. Kobuvirus in South Korean black goats.Virus Genes 2012; 45(1): 186-189.
- Reuter G, Nemes C, Boros Á, et al. Porcine kobuvirus in wild boars (Sus scrofa). Arch Virol 2013; 158(1): 281-282.
- Reuter G, Kecskeméti S, Pankovics P. Evolution of porcine kobuvirus infection, Hungary. Emerg Infect Dis 2010; 16(4): 696-698.
- Choi S, Lim SI, Kim YK, et al. Phylogenetic analysis of astrovirus and kobuvirus in Korean dogs. J Vet Med Sci 2014; 76(8): 1141-1145.
- ChoYY, Lim SI, Kim YK, et al. Molecular characterization of the full kobuvirus genome in a cat. Genome Announc 2014; 2(2): e00420-14. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.00420-14.
- Oem JK, Choi JW, Lee MH, et al. Canine kobuvirus infections in Korean dogs. Arch Virol 2014; 159(10): 2751-2755.
- Di Martino B, Di Felice E, Ceci C, et al. Canine kobuviruses in diarrhoeic dogs in Italy. Vet Microbiol 2013; 166(1-2): 246-249.
- Kong N, Zuo Y, Wang Z, et al. Molecular characterization of new described kobuvirus in dogs with diarrhea in China. Springerplus 2016; 5(1): 2047. doi: 10.1186/s40064-016-3738-4.