Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Heart murmurs and valvular regurgitation are common in horses and often have no effect on their performance. However, when structural changes occur in the heart size, they can affect performance adversely. This study aimed to examine the correlation between cardiac valves disease and poor performance in athletic horses. A total of 300 athletic Thoroughbred and mix-breed horses including 164 Mares and 136 Stallions, with a history of poor performance, were selected. Horses with cardiac murmurs were identified and further cardiac examination including precise auscultation, base-apex electrocardiogram for possible dysrhythmias at rest and after exercise, echocardiographic and hematological tests were conducted in two stages. The first was at admission time and the second examination was done four to six months later to evaluate the outcome of the possible disorders. Respiratory system and musculoskeletal diseases were diagnosed respectively in 93 and 149 out of 300 examined horses and 36 horses showed heart murmur without any other complications. Echocardiography was performed in horses with heart murmur and 25 of them showed regurgitation of the cardiac valve. During the first examination, 7 horses were diagnosed with regurgitation and changes in the size of cardiac chambers, whereas this number increased to 25 during the second examination. There was no significant relationship between degree of murmur and severity of regurgitant jet in horses. The valvular regurgitation can affect the performance when causing changes in the size of the cardiac chambers which can consequently jeopardize the athletic future of the horse.
- Kriz NG, Hodgson DR, Rose RJ. Prevalence and clinical importance of heart murmurs in racehorses. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000; 216(9): 1441-1445.
- Martin BB Jr., Reef VB, Parente EJ, et al. Causes of poor performance of horses during training, racing, or showing: 348 cases (1992-1996). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000; 216(4): 554-558.
- Van Erck Westergren E, Richard E, Audrey A, et al. Field investigation of poor performance in thoroughbred racehorses. Equine Vet J 2014; 46(S46): 15-15.
- Blissitt K. Auscultation. In: Marr C, Bowen M (Eds). Cardiology of the horse. 2nd Edinburgh, UK: WB Saunders 2010; 91-104.
- Patteson MW. Equine cardiology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell science LTD 1996; 115-124.
- Buhl R, Ersbøll AK, Eriksen L, et al. Changes over time in echocardiographic measurements in young Standard-bred racehorses undergoing training and racing and association with racing performance. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226(11): 1881-1887.
- Young LE, Rogers K, Wood JL. Heart murmurs and valvular regurgitation in thoroughbred racehorses: epidemiology and associations with athletic performance. J Vet Intern Med 2008; 22(2): 418-426.
- Schwarzwald CC. Equine Echocardiography. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2019; 35(1): 43-64.
- Koenig TR, Mitchell KJ, Schwarzwald CC. Echo-cardiographic assessment of left ventricular function in healthy horses and in horses with heart disease using pulsed-wave tissue Doppler imaging. J Vet Intern Med 2017; 31(2): 556-567.
- Long KJ, Bonagura JD, Darke PG. Standardised imaging technique for guided M-mode and Doppler echocardiography in the horse. Equine Vet J 1992; 24(3): 226-235.
- Patterson DF, Detweiler DK, Glendenning SA. Heart sounds and murmurs of the normal horse. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1965; 127(1): 242-305.
- Navas de Solis C. Cardiovascular response to exercise and training, exercise testing in horses. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2019; 35(1): 159-173.
- Ryan N, Marr CM, McGladdery AJ. Survey of cardiac arrhythmias during submaximal and maximal exercise in Thoroughbred racehorses. Equine Vet J 2005; 37(3): 265-268.
- Lightfoot G, Jose-Cunilleras E, Rogers K, et al. An echocardiographic and auscultation study of right heart responses to training in young national hunt thoroughbred horses. Equine Vet J Suppl 2006; (36): 153-158.
- Young LE, Wood JL. Effect of age and training on murmurs of atrioventricular valvular regurgitation in young thoroughbreds. Equine Vet J 2000; 32(3): 195-199.
- Marr CM. Equine acquired valvular disease. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2019; 35(1): 119-137.
- Reef VB, Bonagura J, Buhl R, et al. Recommendations for management of equine athletes with cardiovascular abnormalities. J Vet Intern Med 2014; 28(3): 749-761.
- Reef VB. Equine diagnostic ultrasound. 1st Philadelphia, USA: WB Saunders and Company; 1998; 197-214.
- Chope KB. Cardiac/cardiovascular conditions affecting sport horses. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2018; 34(2): 409-425.
- Morris EA, Seeherman HJ. Clinical evaluation of poor performance in the racehorse: the results of 275 evaluations. Equine Vet J 1991; 23(3): 169-174.
- Kriz NG, Hodgson DR, Rose RJ. Changes in cardiac dimensions and indices of cardiac function during deconditioning in horses. Am J Vet Res 2000; 61(12): 1553-1560.
- Rostami A, Masoudifard M, Vajhi A, et al. Echocardiographic findings in athletic horses with pulmonary regurgitation. Iran J of Vet Med 2015; 9(1): 7-12.
- Imhasly A, Tschudi PR, Lombard CW, et al. Clinical and echocardiographic features of mild mitral valve regurgitation in 108 horses. Vet J 2010; 183(2): 166-171.
- Bishop SP, Cole CR, Smetzer DL. Functional and morphologic pathology of equine aortic insufficiency. Pathol Vet 1966; 3(2): 137-158.
- Taylor SE, Else RW, Keen JA. Congenital aortic valve dysplasia in a Clydesdale foal. Equine Vet Educ 2007; 19(9): 463-468.
- Stevens KB, Marr CM, Horn JN, et al. Effect of left-sided valvular regurgitation on mortality and causes of death among a population of middle-aged and older horses. Vet Rec 2009; 164(1): 6-10.
- Huesler IM, Mitchell KJ, Schwarzwald CC. Echocardiographic assessment of left atrial size and function in warmblood horses: reference intervals, allometric scaling, and agreement of different echocardiographic variables. J Vet Intern Med 2016; 30(4): 1241-1252.
- Schwarzwald CC. Disorders of the cardiovascular system. In: Reed SM, Bayly WM, Sellon DC (Eds). Equine internal medicine. 4th ed. St. Louis, USA: WB Saunders; 2018; 387-541.
- Zucca E, Ferrucci F, Stancari G, et al. The prevalence of cardiac murmurs among standardbred racehorses presented with poor performance. J Vet Med Sci 2010; 72(6): 781-785.