Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Medical Entomology, School of Public Health, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Mosquitoes are involved in the transmission of a wide range of diseases and among them, Culiseta longiareolata, acts as a vector of avian malaria, tularemia and several arboviruses like West Nile fever. The current study was conducted to determine the susceptibility of C. longiareolata against deltamethrin 0.05% (pyrethroids), fenitrothion 1.00% (organophosphate) and bendiocarb 0.10% (carbamate). Mosquitoes were collected from different parts of Urmia county, the capital of West Azerbaijan. In the current study, 443 empty 3 - 5 days old adult female C. longiareolata were used for susceptibility tests. The susceptibility status of C. longiareolata was determined using WHO’s recommended procedure. The results - indicated higher mortality rates of Culiseta longiareolata against studied insecticides. Culiseta longiareolata, was resistant to all studied insecticides (deltamethrin, mortality rate: 62.50%, fenitrothion, mortality rate: 35.96% and bendiocarb, mortality rate: 20.16%). The current study represents the first report of susceptibility status of C. longiareolata to fenitrothion and bendicarb in Iran. Considering the climatic diversity and geographical conditions of northwestern Iran, reports of resistance of other mosquitoes’ of this region, the susceptibility status of medically and veterinary important mosquitoes should be given serious attention.
- Kampen H, Kronefeld M, Zielke D, et al. Three rarely encountered and one new Culiseta species (Diptera: Culicidae) in Germany. J Eur Mosq Control Assoc 2013; 31: 36-39.
- Hubálek Z, Halouzka J. West Nile fever--a reemerging mosquito-borne viral disease in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis 1999; 5(5): 643-650.
- Hesami N, Abai MR, Vatandoost H, et al. Using ecological niche modeling to predict the spatial distribution of Anopheles maculipennisl. and Culex theileri (Diptera: Culicidae) in central Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2019; 13(2): 165-176.
- Conley AK, Fuller DO, Haddad N, et al. Modeling the distribution of the West Nile and Rift Valley Fever vector Culex pipiens in arid and semi-arid regions of the Middle East and North Africa. Parasit Vectors 2014; 7. 289. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-7-289.
- Ataie A, Moosa-Kazemi SH, Vatandoost H, et al. Assessing the susceptibility status of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in a dirofilariasis focus, north-western Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2015; 9(1): 7-21.
- Fathian M, Vatandoost H, Moosa-Kazemi SH, et al. Susceptibility of Culicidae mosquitoes to some insecticides recommended by WHO in a malaria endemic area of southeastern Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2015; 9(1): 22-34.
- Hazratian T, Paksa A, Sedaghat MM, et al. Baseline susceptibility of Culiseta longiareolata (Diptera: Culicidae) to different imagicides, in eastern Azerbaijan, Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2019: 407-415.
- Amini M, Hanafi-Bojd AA, Asghari S, et al. The Potential of West Nile Virus transmission regarding the environmental factors using geographic information system (GIS), West Azerbaijan province, Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2019; 13(1): 27-38.
- Bagheri M, Terenius O, Oshaghi MA, et al. West Nile Virus in mosquitoes of Iranian wetlands. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2015; 15(12): 750-754.
- Bozorg-Omid F, Oshaghi MA, Vahedi M, et al. Wolbachia infection in West Nile Virus vectors of northwest Iran. Appl Entomol Zool 2020; 55(1): 105-113.
- Khoshdel-Nezamiha F, Vatandoost H, Oshaghi MA, et al. Molecular characterization of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in Northwestern Iran by using rDNA-ITS2. Jpn J Infect Dis 2016; 69(4): 319-322.
- Hanafi-Bojd AA, Motazakker M, Vatandoost H, et al. Sindbis virus infection of mosquito species in the wet-lands of northwestern Iran and modeling the probable ecological niches of SINV vectors in the country. Acta Trop 2021; 220: 105952. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica. 2021.105952.
- Silver JB, Mosquito ecology: field sampling methods. New York, USA: Springer 2008; 137-338.
- Azari-Hamidian SH, Harbach RE. Keys to the adult females and fourth-instar larvae of the mosquitoes of Iran (Diptera: Culicidae). Zootaxa 2009; 2078: 1-33.
- WHO. Test procedures for insecticide resistance monitoring in malaria vector mosquitoes 2nd Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization 2016; 12-29.
- Gorouhi MA, Vatandoost H, Oshaghi MA, et al. Current susceptibility status of Anopheles stephensi (Diptera: Culicidae) to different imagicides in a malarious area, southeastern of Iran. J Arthropod Borne Dis 2016; 10(4): 493-500.
- Chavshin AR, Dabiri F, Vatandoost H, et al. Susceptibility of Anopheles maculipennis to different classes of insecticides in West Azarbaijan Province, Northwestern Iran. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2015; 5(5): 403-406.
- Naseri-Karimi N, Vatandoost H, Bagheri M, et al. Susceptibility status of Culex pipiens against deltamethrin and DDT, Urmia County, West Azerbaijan Province, northwestern Iran. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2015; 5(Suppl 1): S77-S79.