Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Health Inspection and Quarantine, Faculty of Medicine, Wannan Medical College, Wuhu, China
Astigmatid mites are economically significant pests of stored products and sources of inhalant allergens causing allergic rhinitis and asthma worldwide. The morphological identification of astigmatid mites at the species level is often a difficult task due to their small size, phenotypic similarity and lack of diagnostic characters. We used multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to identify astigmatid mite species, which could complement the morphological data for the species-specific identification of mites. Internal ribosomal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequences (i.e., partial 18S, the full length of ITS1-5.8S-ITS2 and partial 28S) from eight astigmatid species (Acarus siro, Tyrophagus putrescentiae, Suidasia nesbitti, Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus, Dermatophagoides farinae, Lepidoglyphus destructor, Chortoglyphus arcuatus and Gohieria fuscus) were obtained by DNA extraction and then sequenced after PCR amplification. Specific primers were designed in the ITS2 region manually. Results revealed that an identification method for eight common astigmatid species was established based on multiplex PCR, which should be effective for the identification of other species of mites by redesigning species-specific primers in future experiments.
- Li C, He J, Tao L, et al. Acaroid mite infestations (Astigmatina) in stored traditional Chinese medicinal herbs. Syst Appl Acarol 2013; 18(4): 401-410.
- Tao N, Zhan XD, Sun ET, et al. Investigation of Acaroid mites breeding in stored dry fruits. [Chinese] Zhongguo Xue Xi Chong Bing Fang Zhi Za Zhi2015; 27(6): 634-637.
- Cui Y. When mites attack: domestic mites are not just allergens. Parasit Vectors 2014; 7: 411. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-7-411.
- Hubert J, Stejskal V, Athanassiou CG, et al. Health hazards associated with arthropod infestation of stored products. Annu Rev Entomol 2018; 63: 553-573.
- Nadchatram M. House dust mites, our intimate associates. Trop Biomed 2005; 22(1): 23-37.
- Colloff MJ. Identification and taxonomy, classification and phylogeny. Dust Mites 2009; doi: 10.1007/978-90-481-2224-0_1.
- Thet-Em T, Tungtrongchitr A, Tiewcharoen S, et al. Multiplex PCR for identifying common dust mites species (Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus, Dermatophagoides farinae and Blomia tropicalis). Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2012; 30(3): 224-230.
- Ernieenor FCL, Ernna G, Jafson AS, et al. PCR identification and phylogenetic analysis of the medically important dust mite Suidasia medanensis (Acari: Suidasiidae) in Malaysia. Exp Appl Acarol 2018; 76(1): 99-107.
- Zélé F, Weill M, Magalhães S. Identification of spider-mite species and their endosymbionts using multiplex PCR. Exp Appl Acarol 2018; 74(2): 123-138.
- Gómez-Zurita J. Insights on the genus Acronymolpus Samuelson with new synonymies and exclusion of Stethotes Baly from the fauna of New Caledonia (Coleoptera, Chrysomelidae, Eumolpinae). Zookeys 2017; (720): 65-75.
- Navajas M, Lagnel J, Fauvel G, et al. Sequence variation of ribosomal internal transcribed spacers (ITS) in commercially important Phytoseiidae mites. Exp Appl Acarol 1999; 23(11): 851-859.
- Mirza JH, Kamran M, Saleh AA, et al. Molecular and phenotypic variations in Eutetranychus orientalis (Klein) populations from Saudi Arabia. PLoS One 2020; 15(5): e0233389. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0233389.
- Yang B, Cai J, Cheng X. Identification of astigmatid mites using ITS2 and COI regions. Parasitol Res 2011; 108(2): 497-503.
- Wilai P, Namgay R, Made Ali RS, et al. A multiplex PCR based on mitochondrial COI sequences for identification of members of the Anopheles barbirostris complex (Diptera: Culicidae) in Thailand and other countries in the region. Insects 2020; 11(7): 409. doi: 10.3390/insects11070409.
- Pérez-Sayas C, Pina T, Gómez-Martínez MA, et al. Disentangling mite predator-prey relationships by multiplex PCR. Mol Ecol Resour 2015; 15(6): 1330-1345.
- Hughes AM. The mites of stored food and houses. 2nd London, UK: HMSO 1976; 9.
- Jia FX, Yang MS, Yang WJ, et al. Influence of continuous high temperature conditions on Wolbachia infection frequency and the fitness of Liposcelis tricolor (Psocoptera: Liposcelididae). Environ Entomol 2009; 38(5): 1365-1372.
- Webster LM, Thomas RH, McCormack GP. Molecular systematics of Acarus siro s. lat., a complex of stored food pests. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2004, 32(3): 817-822.
- Beroiz B, Couso-Ferrer F, Ortego F, et al. Mite species identification in the production of allergenic extracts for clinical use and in environmental samples by ribosomal DNA amplification. Med Vet Entomol 2014; 28(3): 287-296.
- Lava Kumar P, Fenton B, Jones AT. Identification of cecidophyopsis mites (Acari: Eriophyidae) based on variable simple sequence repeats of ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer-1 sequences via multiplex PCR. Insect Mol Biol 1999; 8(3): 347-357.