Document Type : Original Article
Department of Food Science and Technology, Agriculture Faculty, Islamic Azad University, Nour Branch, Nour, Iran
Department of Veterinary, Agriculture Faculty, Islamic Azad University, Chalous Branch, Chalous, Iran
Department of Engineering Research, West Azerbaijan Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center, AREEO, Urmia, Iran
Department of Food Science and Technology, Agriculture Faculty, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Chicken fillet is a suitable medium for growth and activity of different types of microorganisms. The pH and nutrients content of fillets are the most important factors in their microbial spoilage and degradation during cold storage at the retail level. In this regard, the uses of edible coatings containing antimicrobial and antioxidant compounds are effective approaches to maintain the quality of fillets. In this study the inhibitory effect of edible coating materials based on chia seed mucilage containing 0.00%, 0.25% and 0.50% zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZnO-NPs) on microbial growth and chemical spoilage as well as enhancing shelf life of chicken fillets during refrigerated storage for 20 days was investigated. The results of X-Ray diffraction confirmed the dispersion of ZnO-NPs on the chia seed mucilage matrix. Also, the number of total aerobic mesophilic and psychrophilic bacteria, coliforms and lactic acid bacteria, and the pH, total volatile nitrogen, peroxide and free fatty acids indexes in the control fillets were significantly increased compared to the fillets coated with chia seed mucilage during storage. While, in the samples coated with chia mucilage containing ZnO-NPs the number of the above-mentioned bacteria decreased in the first stage and then significantly increased during storing. Based on our findings, the shelf life of fillets could be increased at least 20 days by coating them with the chia seed mucilage containing ZnO-NPs.
- Latou E, Mexis SF, Badeka AV, et al. Combined effect of chitosan and modified atmosphere packaging for shelf life extension of chicken breast fillets. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2014; 55(1): 263-268.
- Sharma H, Mendiratta SK, Agrawal RK, et al. Use of various essential oils as bio preservatives and their effect on the quality of vacuum packaged fresh chicken sausages under frozen conditions. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2017; 81: 118-127.
- Dick M, Costa TM, Gomaa A, et al. Edible film production from chia seed mucilage: Effect of glycerol concentration on its physicochemical and mechanical properties. Carbohydr Polym 2015; 130: 198-205.
- Kumar S, Boro JC, Ray D, et al. Bionanocomposite films of agar incorporated with ZnO Nanoparticles as an active packaging material for shelf life extension of green grape. Heliyon 2019; 5(6): e01867. doi: 10. 1016/j.heliyon.2019.e01867.
- Tavares LS, Junqueira LA, de Oliveira Guimarães ÍC, et al. Cold extraction method of chia seed mucilage (Salvia hispanica): effect on yield and rheological behavior. J Food Sci Technol 2018; 55(2): 457-466.
- Kheirkhah Foghara S, Jafarian S, Zomorodi S, et al. Fabrication and characterization of an active bionanocomposite film based on basil seed mucilage and ZnO nanoparticles. J Food Meas Charact 2020; 14: 3542-3550.
- Chu Z, Zhao T, Li L, et al. Characterization of antimicrobial poly (lactic acid)/nano-composite films with silver and zinc oxide nanoparticles. Materials (Basel) 2017; 10(6): 659. doi: 10.3390/ma10060659.
- Fernández-Pan I, Carrión-Granda X, Maté JI. Antimicrobial efficiency of edible coatings on the preservation of chicken breast fillet. Food Control 2014; 36(1): 69-75.
- Yehia HM, Elkhadragy MF, Al-Megrin WA, et al. Citrox improves the quality and shelf life of chicken fillets packed under vacuum and protects against some foodborne pathogens. Animals 2019; 9(12): 1062; doi:10.3390/ani9121062.
- Islam MS, Rahaman MS, Yeum JH. Electrospun novel super-absorbent based on polysaccharide–polyvinyl alcohol–montmorillonite clay nanocomposites. Carbohydr Polym 2015; 115: 69-77.
- de Oliveira Mori CL, dos Passos NA, Oliveira JE, et al. Electrospinning of zein/tannin bio-nanofibers. Ind Crops Prod 2014; 52: 298-304.
- Fernandes SS, Romani VP, da Silva Filipini G, et al. Chia seeds to develop new biodegradable polymers for food packaging: Properties and biodegradability. Polym Eng Sci 2020; 60(9): 2214-2223.
- Ghamsari MS, Alamdari S, Razzaghi D, et al. ZnO nanocrystals with narrow-band blue emission. J Lumin 2019; 205: 508-518.
- American Society for Testing and Material. Powder Diffraction Files; Joint Committee on Powder Diffraction Standards (JCPDS): Swarthmore, USA: 1999, No: 36-1451. Available at: www.astm.org. Accessed Sep 24, 2022.
- Elashmawi IS, Hakeem NA, Marei LK, et al. Structure and performance of ZnO/PVC nanocomposites. Phys B: Condens Matter 2010; 405(19): 4163-4169.
- Chandrakala HN, Ramaraj B, Shivakumaraiah, et al. The influence of zinc oxide- cerium oxide nanoparticles on the structural characteristics and electrical properties of polyvinyl alcohol films. J Mater Sci 2012; 47:
- Smolander M, Alakomi HL, Ritvanen T, et al. Monitoring of the quality of modified atmosphere packaged broiler chicken cuts stores in different temperature conditions A. Time-temperature indicator as quality-indicating tools. Food Control 2004; 15(3): 217-229.
- Alvarez-Astorga M, Capita R, Alonso-Calleja C, et al. Microbiological quality of retail chicken by-products in Spain. Meat Sci 2002; 62(1): 45-50.
- Maharjan S, Rayamajhee B, Chhetri VS, et al. Microbial quality of poultry meat in an ISO 22000:2005 certified poultry processing plant of Kathmandu valley. Int J Food Contam 2019; 8: 6. doi: 10.1186/s40550-019-0078-5.
- Rouger A, Tresse O, Zagorec M. Bacterial contaminants of poultry meat: sources, species, and dynamics. Microorganisms 2017; 5(3): 50. doi: 10.3390/micro-organisms5030050.
- Iran veterinary organization (IVO). Executive directive: Hygiene processes supervision, risk assessment and risk management for poultry meat. Available at: www. ivo.ir. 2021: 1-12. Accessed 18 Sep. 2022.
- Matiacevich S, Acevedo N, López D, Characterization of edible active coating based on alginate–thyme oil–propionic acid for the preservation of fresh chicken breast fillets. J Food Process Preserv 2015; 39(6): 2792-2801.
- Siddiqi KS; UR Rahman A, Tajuddin, et al. Properties of zinc oxide nanoparticles and their activity against microbes. Nanoscale Res Lett 2018; 13(1): 141. doi: 10.1186/s11671-018-2532-3.
- Joe A, Park SH, Shim KD, et al. Antibacterial mechanism of ZnO nanoparticles under dark conditions. J Ind Eng Chem 2017; 45: 430-439.
- Kim I, Viswanathan K, Kasi G, et al. ZnO Nanostructures in active antibacterial food packaging: Preparation methods, antimicrobial mechanisms, safety issues, future prospects and challenges. Food Rev Int 2020; 38: 537-565.
- Amjadi S, Emaminia S, Nazari M, et al. Application of reinforced ZnO nanoparticle-incorporated gelatin bionanocomposite film with chitosan nanofiber for packaging of chicken fillet and cheese as food models. Food Bioprocess Technol 2019; 12: 1205-1219.
- Mohammadi H, Kamkar A, Misaghi A, et al. Nanocomposite films with CMC okra mucilage and ZnO nanoparticles: Extending the shelf-life of chicken breast meat. Food Packag Shelf Life 2019; 21: 100330. doi: 10.1016/j.fpsl.2019.100330.
- Baek SK, Song KB. Development of Gracilaria vermiculophylla extract films containing zinc oxide nanoparticles and their application in smoked salmon packaging. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2018; 89: 269-275.
- Noshirvani N, Ghanbarzadeh B, Rezaei Mokarram R, et al. Novel active packaging based on carboxymethyl cellulose-chitosan-ZnO NPs nanocomposite for increasing the shelf life of bread. Food Packag Shelf Life 2017; 11: 106-114.
- Ejaz M, Arfat YA, Mulla M, et al. Zinc oxide nanorods/ clove essential oil incorporated type B gelatin composite films and its applicability for shrimp packaging. Food Packag Shelf Life 2018; 15: 113-121.
- Souza VGL, Rodrigues C, Valente S, et al. Eco-friendly ZnO/chitosan bionanocomposites films for packaging of fresh poultry meat. Coatings 2020; 10(2):110. doi: 10.3390/coatings10020110.
- Gram L, Huss HH. Microbiological spoilage of fish and fish products. Int J Food Microbiol 1996; 33(1): 121-137.
- Suo B, Li H, Wang Y, et al. Effects of ZnO nanoparticle-coated packaging film on pork meat quality during cold storage. J Sci Food Agric 2016; 97(7): 2023-2029.
- Swain PS, Rao SBN, Rajendran D, et al. Nano zinc, an alternative to conventional zinc as animal feed
supplement: A review. Animal Nutr 2016; 2(3): 134-141.
- Bray TM, Bettger WJ. The physiological role of zinc as an antioxidant. Free Radic Biol Med 1990; 8(3): 281-291.
- Prasad AS. Zinc is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent: Its role in human health. Front Nutr 2014; 1: 14. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2014.00014.
- Khulal U, Zhao J, Hu W, et al. Intelligent evaluation of total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N) content in chicken meat by an improved multiple level data fusion model. Sens Actuators B Chem 2017; 238: 337-345.
- Fan W, Sun J, Chen Y, et al. Effects of chitosan coating on quality and shelf life of silver carp during frozen storage. Food Chem 2009; 115(1): 66-70.
- Dalvandi F, Almasi H, Ghanbarzadeh B, et al. Effect of vacuum packaging and edible coating containing black pepper seeds and turmeric extracts on shelf life extension of chicken breast fillets. J Food Bioproc Eng 2020; 3(1): 69-78.