Document Type : Original Article
Department of Theriogenology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Cyclophosphamide is a chemotherapy drug for the treatment of cancer. Chicken embryo amniotic fluid, vitamin C and coenzyme Q10 have anti-oxidant properties. Total of 70 adult female mice were selected and divided into seven groups. The first group that received 2 ml kg-1 of inactivated amniotic fluid subcutaneously. The second group treated with 75 mg kg-1of cyclophosphamide by intraperitoneal injection. Third to fifth groups received 1, 2, and 4 ml kg-1 of chicken embryo amniotic fluid, respectively. The sixth group received vitamin C at a dose of 0.2 mg g-1 of body weight by oral gavages. Seventh group received 10 mg kg-1 coenzyme Q10 intraperitoneally. All cyclophosphamide treated groups (3-7) received 75 mg kg-1 of cyclophosphamide intraperitoneal on day 22. The mice were euthanized on day 29 and ovarian tissue antioxidant enzymes including glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase and catalase activities and malondialdehyde (MDA) were evaluated. Activities of above mentioned enzymes in treatment groups (3-7) was significantly higher than patient control group (2). The results also revealed that MDA levels were higher in the control group in comparison to other treatment groups. Therefore, it is concluded that the chick embryo amniotic fluid and coenzyme Q10 can compete with compounds like vitamin C in increasing the anti-oxidant level in ovarian tissue.
- Hoyer PB, Sipes IG. Assessment of follicle destruction in chemical-induced ovarian toxicity. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1996; 36: 307-331.
- Jarrell JF, Bodo L, YoungLai EV, et al. The short-term reproductive toxicity of cyclophosphamide in the female rat. Reprod Toxicol 1991; 5(6): 481-485.
- Tomao F, Spinelli GP, Panici PB, et al. Ovarian function, reproduction and strategies for fertility preservation after breast cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2010; 76(1): 1-12.
- Jiang Y, Zhao J, Qi H, et al. Accelerated ovarian aging in mice by treatment of busulfan and cyclophosphamide. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2013; 14(4): 318-324.
- Plowchalk M, Mattison DR. Reproductive toxicity of cyclophosphamide in the C57BL/6N mouse: 1. Effects on ovarian structure and function. Reprod Toxicol 1992; 6(5): 411-421.
- Eman A, Kishk F, Mona HM. Effect of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue on cyclophosphamide -induced ovarian toxicity in adult mice. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2013; 287(5): 1023-1029.
- Tsai-Turton M, Luong BT, Tan Y, et al. Cyclo-phosphamide-induced apoptosis in COV434 human granulosa cells involves oxidative stress and glutathione depletion. Toxicol Sci 2007; 98(1): 216-230.
- Fujii J, Iuchi Y, Okada F. Fundamental roles of reactive oxygen species and protective mechanisms in the female reproductive system. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005; 3: 43.
- Tilly JL, Tilly KL. Inhibitors of oxidative stress mimic the ability of follicle-stimulating hormone to suppress apoptosis in cultured rat ovarian follicles. Endocrinology 1995; 136(1): 242-252.
- Agarwal A, Gupta S, Sharma RK. Role of oxidative stress in female reproduction. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005; 3(28): 1-29.
- Larsen WJ. Human embryology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, USA: Churchill Livingstone 2001; 490.
- Burdett P, Lizana J, Eneroth P, et al. Proteins of human amniotic fluid. II. Mapping by two-dimensional electrophoresis. Clin Chem 1982; 28:935-940.
- Batavani RA, Ghasemzadeh M, Kheradmand A. Changes of enzyme activities in ovine fetal fluids and maternal blood serum with gestational age. Comp Clin Pathol 2008; 17: 105-109.
- Kaya M, Ozkan A, Eroz R, et al. Effect of combined anti-inflammatory and antioxidant therapy on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovary: An experimental study. Int J Clin Exp Med 2016; 9(3): 6246-6254.
- Mashayekhi F, Dianati E, Masomi Moghadam L. Quantitative analysis of nerve growth factor in the amniotic fluid during chick embryonic development. Saudi J Biol Sci 2011; 18(2): 209-212.
- Mirzajani E, Dejhagah S, Mashayekhi F, et al. Amniotic fluid TGF-β1 concentration during chick embryonic development. Ann Biol Res 2011; 2(5): 185-190.
- Mashayekhi F, Zahiri S, Mirzajani E, et al. Developmental changes in amniotic fluid vascular endothelial growth factor levels of chick embryos. Ann Biol Res 2011; 2(1): 94-99.
- Karcher DM, McMurtry JP, Applegate TJ. Developmental changes in amniotic and allantoic fluid insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and -II concentrations of avian embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 2005;142(4):404-409.
- Busch M, Milakofsky L, Hare T, et al. Regulation of substances in allantoic and amniotic fluid of the chicken embryo. Comp Biochem Physiol 1997; 116(2): 131-136.
- Pressman EK, Thornburg LL, Glantz JC, et al. Inflammatory cytokines and antioxidants in midtrimester amniotic fluid: Correlation with pregnancy outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011; 204(2): 155.e1-7.
- Bartosz G. Total antioxidant capacity. Adv Clin Chem 2003; 37: 219-292.
- Sarala P, Suneetha S, Parthasarathy PR. Detection of superoxide dismutase isozymes in normal and X-irradiated chick amniotic fluid by using isoelectric focusing. Indian J Exp Biol 1996; 34(9): 901-904.
- May JM. How does ascorbic acid prevent endothelial dysfunction? Free Radic Biol Med 2000; 28: 1421-1429.
- Gasparetto C, Malinverno A, Gulacciati D, et al. Antioxidant vitamins reduce oxidative stress and ventricular remodeling in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2005; 18(3): 487-496.
- Mohamed R, Dharmappa KK, Tarannum S, et al. Chemical modification of ascorbic acid and evaluation of its lipophilic derivatives as inhibitors of secretory phospholipase A2 with anti-inflammatory activity. Mol Cell Biochem 2010; 345(1-2): 69-76.
- Hosseinzadeh E, Zavareh S, Lashkarboluki T. Coenzyme Q10 improves developmental competence of mice pre-antral follicle derived from vitrified ovary. J Paramed Sci 2015; 6(2): 65-71.
- Turi A, Giannubilo SR, Brugè F, et al. Coenzyme Q10 content in follicular fluid and its relationship with oocyte fertilization and embryo grading. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2012; 285(4): 1173-1176.
- Bonakdar RA, Guarneri E. Coenzyme Q10. Am Fam Physician 2005; 72(6):1065-1070.
- Farjah GH, Fazli F. The effect of chick embryo amniotic fluid on sciatic nerve regeneration of rats. Iran J Vet Res 2015; 16(2): 167-171.
- Hamburger V, Hamilton HL. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951.Dev Dyn 1992; 195(4): 231-272
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of ‘‘antioxidant power’’: The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996; 239(1): 70-76.
- Jalali AS, Najafi G, Hosseinchi M, et al. Royal jelly alleviates sperm toxicity and improves in vitro fertilization outcome in stanozolol-treated mice. Iran J Reprod Med 2015; 13(1): 15-22.
- Yapca OE ,Turan MI, Borekci B, et al. Bilateral ovarian ischemia/reperfusion injury and treatment options in rats with an induced model of diabetes. Iran J of Basic Med Sci 2014; 17(4): 294-302.
- Hadwan MH, Abed HN. Data supporting the spectrophotometric method for the estimation of catalase activity. Data Brief 2016; 6: 194-199.
- Surai PF. Antioxidant systems in poultry biology: Superoxide dismutase. J Anim Res Nutr 2015; 1:8. doi: 10.21767/2572-5459.100008.
- Senthilkumar S, Yogeeta SK, Subashini R, et al. Attenuation of cyclophosphamide induced toxicity by squalene in experimental rats. Chem-bioloint 2006; 160(3): 252-260.
- Mohammadi T, Khaksary Mahabadi M, Najaf-ZadeVarzi H, et al. Protective effect of concurrent administration of mesna and galbanum oil on histological structure of rat placenta against cyclophosphamide toxicity. J Ardabil Uni Med Sci 2016; 16(2): 211-222.
- Yener NA, Sinanoglu O, Ilter E, et al. Effects of spirulina on cyclophosphamide-induced ovarian toxicity in rats: Biochemical and histomorphometric evaluation of the ovary. Biochem Res Int 2013; 2013: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1155/2013/764262.
- Laili AN, Ananingsih L, Wiyasa WA, et al. Protective effect of combined vitamin C and E against ovarian and endometrial toxicity in rats that receiving oral rhodamine B. Biomarkers Genomic Med 2015; 7(4): 154-158.
- Ismiyati A, Wiyasa WA, Hidayati DYN. Protective effect of vitamins C and E on depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate-induced ovarian oxidative stress in vivo. J Toxicol 2016; doi: 10.1155/2016/3134105.
- Tuncer AA, Bozkurt MF, Koken T, et al. The protective effects of alpha-lipoic acid and coenzyme Q10 combination on ovarian ischemia-reperfusion injury: An experimental study. Adv Med. 2016;2016: doi: 10.1155/2016/3415046.
- Ozler A, Turgut A, Görük NY, et al. Evaluation of the protective effects of CoQ₁₀ on ovarian I/R injury: An experimental study. Obstet Gynecol Sci Investigation 2013; 76(2): 100-106.
- Dai XX, Duan X, Cui X-S, et al. Melamine induces oxidative stress in mouse ovary. J PLoS One 2015; 10(11):1-9.
- Sekhon L, Gupta S, Kim Y, et al. Female infertility and antioxidants. Curr Womens Health Rev 2010; 6(2): 85-95.
- Laloraya M, Kumar GP, Laloraya MM. Histochemical study of superoxide dismutase in the ovary of the rat during the oestrous cycle. J Reprod Fertil 1989; 86(2): 583-587.
- Matzuk MM, Dionne L, Guo Q, et al. Ovarian function in superoxide dismutase 1 and 2 knockout mice. Endocrinology 1998; 139(9): 4008-4011.
- Neill JD, Smith MS. Pituitary-ovarian interrelationships in the rat. Curr Top Exp Endocrinol 1974; 2: 73-106.
- Enders AC, Nelson DM. Pinocytotic activity of the uterus of the rat. Dev Dyn J 1973; 138(3): 277-299.
- Skrajnowska D, Bobrowska-Korczak B, Tokarz A, et al. Copper and resveratrol attenuates serum catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and element values in rats with DMBA-induced mammary carcinogenesis. Biol Trace Elem Res 2013; 156(1-3): 271-278.