Document Type : Original Article
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Türkiye
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kafkas University, Kars, Türkiye
This study aimed to investigate the effects of a high-fat and cholesterol diet (HFCD) on rats gastric mucosa. In the study, a total of 16 (40-day-old Sprague Dawley) male rats were used and randomly divided into two groups (each consisted of eight rats). Rats in the control group had no implementations other than normal feeding. For 10 weeks, rats in a high-fat with cholesterol diet group had daily energy amounts provided by pellet feed mixed with 65.00% butter and 2.00% cholesterol. Before beginning the study and at the end, rats live weight was recorded and their blood samples were taken for biochemical analyses. Hematoxylin and Eosin and Crossman’s triple staining techniques were used to investigate the general structure of gastric tissue. Rats fed with HFCD had statistically significant increases in live weight and total cholesterol values, and were identified to have gastric tissue degeneration. The rats gastric tissue in control group had more intense somatostatin (SST) immunoreactivity in parietal and chief cells than the HFCD group. It was determined that feeding with the HFCD has a negative effect on SST secretion in rats and hence, this may have important areas of use such as in gastric cancer treatment and preventing complications linked to gastric diseases.
- Barona J, Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol affects plasma lipid levels, the intravascular processing of lipoproteins and reverse cholesterol transport without increasing the risk for heart disease. Nutrients 2012; 4(8): 1015-1025.
- Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, et al. Harper’s illustrated biochemistry. 28th New York, USA: McGraw Hill 2004; 128-130.
- Azhar S, Popplewell PY, Reaven E. Cholesterol and age-related changes in adrenal steroidogenesis. In: Armbrecht HJ, Coe RM, Wongsurawat N (Eds). Endocrine function and aging. New York, USA: Springer 1990; 200-217.
- Tok E, Aslım B. The role of some lactic acid bacteria used as probiotic on cholesterol assimilation and bile salt deconjugation [Turkish]. Türk Mikrobiyol Cem Dergi 2007; 37(1): 62-68.
- Zeybek DK, Zeybek B, Pekmez NÖ, et al. Preparation of amperometric enzyme electrode based on polyphenol oxidase for determination of phenolic compounds [Turkish]. GÜ, Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergi 2010; 30(3): 955-978.
- Joo IW, Ryu JH, Oh HJ. The influence of Sam-Chil-Geun (Panax notoginseng) on the serum lipid levels and inflammations of rats with hyperlipidemia induced by poloxamer-407. Yonsei Med J 2010; 51(4): 504-510.
- Schoenwolf GC, Bleyl SB, Brauer PR, et al. Larsen's human embryology E-book: 6th Philadelphia, USA: Elsevier Health Sciences 2014; 352-360.
- Carter D, Greenson JK, Reuter VE, et al.SE Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology. 5th Philadelphia, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2009; 1279-1313.
- Pawlikowski M. Somatostatin analogs in diagnostics and therapy. 1st Boca Raton, USA: CRC Press 2007; 91-100.
- Keskin Ö, Yalcin S. A review of the use of somato-statin analogs in oncology. Onco Targets Ther 2013; 6: 471-483.
- Rai U, Thrimawithana TR, Valery C, et al. Therapeutic uses of somatostatin and its analogues: Current view and potential application. Pharmacol Ther 2015; 152: 98-110.
- Malfertheiner P, Chan FK, McColl KE. Peptic ulcer disease. Lancet 2009; 374(9699): 1449-1461.
- Yıldız SE, Bakır B, Aras ȘY, et al. Immunohistochemical distribution of somatostatin in gastric tissue of diabetic rats treated with cinnamon extract. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2019; 25(3): 427-433.
- Bengi Y, Emel U. Effects of maternal and post-weaning high-fat diet exposure on the hippocampal functions and morphology. Int J Morphol 2018; 36(3), 1108-1117.
- Hsu SM, Raine L, Fanger H. Use of avidin-biotin- peroxidase complex (ABC) in immunoperoxidase techniques: a comparison between ABC and unlabeled antibody (PAP) procedures. J Histochem Cytochem 1981; 29(4): 577-580.
- Kalkan Y, Kapakin KA, Kara A, et al. Protective effect of Panax ginseng against serum biochemical changes and apoptosis in kidney of rats treated with gentamicin sulphate. J Mol Histol 2012; 43(5): 603-613.
- Schrauwen P, Westerterp KR. The role of high-fat diets and physical activity in the regulation of body weight. Br J Nutr 2000; 84(4): 417-427.
- Arı Z, Ulman C, Taneli F, et al. The effect of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate on oxidant status, copper and zinc levels in hind leg muscle of the rats fed with high-fat diet. Turk J Biochem 2008; 33(1): 1-8.
- Bati B, Çelik İ, Eray N, et al. The effects of Gundelia tournefortii L. plant extract on hematological parameters in rats fed high-fat diet. [Turkish]. Beykent Univ J Sci Eng 2018; 11(2): 34-41.
- Gao J, Ghibaudi L, van Heek M, et al. Characterization of diet-induced obese rats that develop persistent obesity after 6 months of high-fat followed by 1 month of low-fat diet. Brain Res 2002; 936(1-2): 87-90.
- Haddad Y, Vallerand D, Brault A, et al. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of. silibinin in a rat model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011; 2011, nep164. doi: 10.1093/ ecam/nep164.
- Cha MC, Chou CJ, Boozer CN. High-fat diet feeding reduces the diurnal variation of plasma leptin concentration in rats. Metabolism 2000; 49(4): 503-507.
- Mor B, Özcan A. Effect of magnesium on leptin and triglyceride levels in Mice Fed on a Fatty Diet [Trukish]. Erciyes Üniv Vet Fak Derg 2017; 14(1), 31-37.
- Özdoğan E, Özdoğan O, Altunoğlu EG, et al. Relationship of blood lipid levels with Hba1c and obesity in type 2 diabetes mellitus [Turkish]. Şişli Etfal Hastanesi Tip Bülteni 2015; 49(4): 248-254.
- Cui B, Liu S, Lin X, et al. Effects of Lycium barbarum aqueous and ethanol extracts on high-fat-diet induced oxidative stress in rat liver tissue. Molecules 2011; 16(11): 9116-9128.
- Ledreux A, Wang X, Schultzberg M, et al. Detrimental effects of a high fat/high cholesterol diet on memory and hippocampal markers in aged rats. Behav Brain Res 2016; 312: 294-304.
- Kim JH, Kim OK, Yoon HG, et al. Anti-obesity effect of extract from fermented Curcuma longa L. through regulation of adipogenesis and lipolysis pathway in high-fat diet-induced obese rats. Food Nutr Res 2016; 60: 30428. doi: 10.3402/fnr.v60.30428.
- Mohamed MM. Effects of chitosan and wheat bran on serum leptin, TNF-α, lipid profile and oxidative status in animal model of non-alcoholic fatty liver. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 2011; 5(10): 1478-1488.
- Al-Naqeepa G, Ismaila M, Yazan LS. Effects of thymo-quinone rich fraction and thymoquinone on plasma lipoprotein levels and hepatic low-density lipoprotein receptor and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase genes expression. J Funct Foods 2009; 1(3): 298-303.
- Hirata Y, Sezaki T, Tamura-Nakano M, et al. Fatty acids in a high-fat diet potentially induce gastric parietal-cell damage and metaplasia in mice. J Gastroenterol 2017; 52(8): 889-903.
- Lu M, Cao Y, Ho CT, et al. The enhanced anti-obesity effect and reduced gastric mucosa irritation of capsaicin-loaded nanoemulsions. Food Func 2017; 8(5): 1803-1809.
- Saqui-Salces M, Dowdle WE, Reiter JF, et al. A high-fat diet regulates gastrin and acid secretion through primary cilia. FASEB J 2012; 26(8): 3127-3139.
- Laurila A, Cole SP, Merat S, et al. High-fat, high-cholesterol diet increases the incidence of gastritis in LDL receptor–negative mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2001; 21(6): 991-996.
- Olefson, S, Moss SF. Obesity and related risk factors in gastric cardia adenocarcinoma. Gastric Cancer 2015; 18(1): 23-32.
- Linscheer WG, Raheja KL. Effects of somatostatin on gastric acid secretion and on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism in the rat. Br J Pharmacol 1978; 64(2): 311-314.
- Catalán RE, Martínez AM, Araonés MD. Evidence for a role of somatostatin in lipid metabolism of liver and adipose tissue. Regul Pept 1984; 8(2):147-159.