Document Type : Short Communication
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Türkiye
The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of parainfluenza 3 (PI3) virus antigen through histopathological and immunohistochemical (IHC) methods in sheep lung samples collected from Erzurum province, Türkiye. Between August and November 2017, 1462 sheep were dissected in the slaughterhouse and their lungs were examined macroscopically. In total, 100 of the lung samples with pneumonia were selected. Routine histopathological and IHC analyses of the collected lung tissues with pneumonia were performed. Pneumonia observed through macroscopical and histopathological examinations of the lung samples was classified as purulent-catarrhal bronchopneumonia (14.00%), fibrinous bronchopneumonia (23.00%), interstitial pneumonia (69.00%), granulomatous pneumonia (7.00%), verminous pneumonia (19.00%) and pulmonary adenomatosis (6.00%). Two or three types of pneumonia were observed in many of the same cases. The PI3 virus antigen positivity rate in the IHC analysis of sheep lung samples was 19.00%. In the IHC tracing, positivities were found mostly in the alveolar macrophages and cytoplasm of bronchial, bronchiolar and alveolar epithelial cells. As a result, the prevalence of PI3 virus in sheep in Erzurum province, Türkiye, was determined to be 19.00% using KLN BVB IHC method.
- Topçuoğlu H, Yoldaş A, Tekin MA. Pathological investigation of pneumonia in small ruminants in Adana region [Turkish]. AVKAE Dergisi, 2014; 4: 19-24.
- Mao L, Yang L, Li W, et al. Epidemiological investigation and phylogenetic analysis of caprine parainfluenza virus type 3 in sheep of China. Transbound Emerg Dis 2019; 66(3): 1411-1416.
- Yüzbaşıgil AF. Pathological and bacteriological investigations and the role of parainfluenza 3 (PI-3) virus in etiology in lamb pneumonia [Turkish]. Doctoral Thesis, Selcuk University, Institute of Health Konya, Türkiye: 2010.
- Mekibib B, Mikir T, Fekadu A, et al. Prevalence of pneumonia in sheep and goats slaughtered at Elfora Bishoftu export abattoir, Ethiopia: A pathological J Vet Med 2019; 2019: 5169040. doi: 10.1155/2019/5169040.
- Moroz A, Czopowicz M, Mickiewicz M, et al. Antibodies to parainfluenza virus type 3 in goat population in Poland. Pol J Vet Sci 2021; 24(2): 235-241.
- Li W, Li J, Sun M, et al. Viperin protein inhibits the replication of caprine parainfluenza virus type 3 (CPIV 3) by interaction with viral N protein. Antiviral Res 2020; 184: doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2020.104903.
- Amarasinghe GK, Ayllón MA, Bào Y, et al. Taxonomy of the order Mononegavirales: update 2019. Arch Virol 2019; 164(7): 1967-1980.
- Li W, Hao F, Mao L, et al. Pathogenicity and horizontal transmission studies of caprine parainfluenza virus type 3 JS2013 strain in goats. Virus Res 2016; 223: 80-87.
- Contreras-Luna MJ, Ramírez-Martínez LA, Silva RES, et al. Evidence of respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza-3 virus in Mexican sheep. Virusdisease 2017; 28(1): 102-110.
- Gençay A, Akça Y. Investigation of parainfluenza-3 (PI-3) virus infection with immunofluorescence and microneutralization tests in sheep [Turkish]. Erciyes Üniv Vet Fak Derg 2004;1(2): 91-96.
- Suvarna SK, Layton C, Bancroft JD. Bancroft's theory and practice of histological techniques. 8th Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier health sciences 2018; 126-139.
- Usta M. Pathological and bacteriological investigation of sheep pneumonia [Turkish]. Master's Thesis. Balıkesir Universty, Institute of Health Sciences, Balıkesir, Türkiye: 2000.
- Gökçe E, Erdoğan HM. Pneumonia in neonatal lambs: frequency and some associated risk factors [Turkish]. Kafkas Üniv Vet Fak Derg 2008; 14(2): 223-228.
- Özkaraca Histopathological and immunohisto-chemical investigations in pneumonia caused by small ruminant plague, parainfluenza type -3 and respiratory syncytial virus of sheep in Elazig region [Turkish]. Doctoral Thesis, Fırat University, Institute of Health Sciences, Elazig, Türkiye 2013.
- Ülgen M, Sönmez G, Aydın F. Microbiological and histopathological investigations on lamb pneumonia [Turkish]. Etlik Vet Mikrob Derg 1997; 9(2): 55-70.
- Çomakli S, Sağlam YS, Timurkan MÖ. Comparative detection of bovine herpesvirus-1 using antigen ELISA, immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence methods in cattle with pneumonia. Türk J Vet Anim Sci 2019; 43(3): 306-313.
- Leal É, Liu C, Zhao Z, et al. Isolation of a divergent strain of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 (BPIV3) infecting cattle in China. Viruses 2019; 11(6): 489. doi: 10.3390/v11060489.
- Fenner FJ, Bachmann PA, Gibbs EPJ. Veterinary virology. Cambridge, USA: Academic Press 2014; 485-505.
- Jarikre TA, Emikpe BO. First report of immunohistochemical detection of Peste des petit ruminants, parainfluenza 3 and respiratory syncytial viral antigens in lungs of Nigerian goats. J Immunoassay Immunochem 2017; 38(5): 555-568.
- Yang Y, Wang FX, Sun N, et al. Development and evaluation of two truncated recombinant NP antigen-based indirect ELISAs for detection of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 antibodies in cattle. J Virol Methods 2015; 222: 47-54.