Document Type : Review Article
1 Department of Food Hygiene and Quality Control, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
2 Research Center for Environmental Determinants of Health, Research Institute for Health, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
The purpose of this review was to assess the use of plant essential oils and extracts (PEOE) in the development of antimicrobial edible films for dairy application through a systematic review and meta-analysis. All studies published in multiple databases were explored via PRISMA protocol on November 1, 2022. According to the results, the interquartile range of pathogen reduction potential of essential oil (EO) in dairy products, irrespective of EO, film and product type, was 0.10 - 4.70 log CFU g-1 per % concentration. The findings from 38 articles indicate that among all EOs or their compounds, Zataria multiflora Boiss in protein film, thyme in protein film, Z. multiflora Boiss EO in protein film, Trans-cinnamaldehyde in carbohydrate film and lemongrass EO in protein film had extraordinary pathogen reduction potential on important foodborne pathogens. In the case of plant extract, fish gelatin film with Lepidium sativum extract, whey protein isolate film loaded with oregano EO and carboxymethyl cellulose film with clove EOs had the highest antimicrobial effect on mesophilic bacteria (9.50 log CFU g-1 per % concentration), yeast-mold (2.63 log CFU g-1 per % concentration) and mesophilic/ psychrophilic counts (> 9.06 log CFU g-1 per % concentration), respectively. Listeria monocytogenes is the primary species of interest; whereas, mesophiles and mold-yeast populations were the most investigated microbiota/mycobiota in cheese with PEOE-incorporated film. In light of these findings, the choice of PEOE at appropriate concentrations with the selection of appropriate edible film may improve the safety, sensory, and shelf life of dairy products.
- Bezie A. The effect of different heat treatment on the nutritional value of milk and milk products and shelf-life of milk products. A review. J Dairy Vet Sci 2019; 11(5): 555822. doi: 10.19080/JDVS.2019.11.555822.
- Lindsay D, Robertson R, Fraser R, et al. Heat induced inactivation of microorganisms in milk and dairy products. Int Dairy J 2021; 121: 105096. doi: /10. 1016/j.idairyj.2021.105096.
- Martin NH, Torres-Frenzel P, Wiedmann M. Invited review: Controlling dairy product spoilage to reduce food loss and waste. J Dairy Sci 2021; 104(2): 1251-1261.
- Göksen G, Fabra MJ, Ekiz HI, et al. Phytochemical-loaded electrospun nanofibers as novel active edible films: Characterization and antibacterial efficiency in cheese slices. Food Control 2020; 112: 107133. doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2020.107133.
- Motelica L, Ficai D, Oprea O, et al. Biodegradable alginate films with ZnO nanoparticles and Citronella essential oil - A novel antimicrobial structure. Pharmaceutics 2021; 13(7): 1020. doi: 10.3390/ pharmaceutics13071020.
- Díaz-Montes E, Castro-Muñoz R. Edible films and coatings as food-quality preservers: an overview. Foods 2021; 10(2): 249. doi: 10.3390/foods10020249.
- Ribeiro AM, Estevinho BN, Rocha F. Preparation and incorporation of functional ingredients in edible films and coatings. Food Bioprocess Tech 2021; 14(2): 209-231.
- Mohamed SAA, El-Sakhawy M, El-Sakhawy MAM. Polysaccharides, protein and lipid -based natural edible films in food packaging: A review. Carbohydr Polym 2020; 238: 116178. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol. 2020.116178.
- Hassanzadeh P, Moradi M, Vaezi N, et al. Effects of chitosan edible coating containing grape seed extract on the shelf-life of refrigerated rainbow trout fillet. Vet Res Forum 2018; 9(1): 73-79.
- Raeisi M, Tajik H, Aliakbarlu J, et al. Effect of carboxy-methyl cellulose edible coating containing Zataria multiflora essential oil and grape seed extract on chemical attributes of rainbow trout meat. Vet Res Forum 2014; 5(2): 89-93.
- Punia Bangar S, Chaudhary V, Thakur N, et al. Natural antimicrobials as additives for edible food packaging applications: A review. Foods 2021; 10(10): 2282. doi: 10.3390/foods10102282.
- Mehdizadeh T, Tajik H, Razavi Rohani SM, et al. Antibacterial, antioxidant and optical properties of edible starch-chitosan composite film containing Thymus kotschyanus essential oil. Vet Res Forum 2012; 3(3): 167-173.
- Yan MR, Hsieh S, Ricacho N. Innovative food packaging, food quality and safety, and consumer perspectives. Processes 2022; 10(4): 747. doi: 10.3390/ pr10040747.
- Christaki S, Moschakis T, Kyriakoudi A, et al. Recent advances in plant essential oils and extracts: Delivery systems and potential uses as preservatives and antioxidants in cheese. Trends Food Sci Technol 2021; 116: 264-278.
- Bhavaniramya S, Vishnupriya S, Al-Aboody MS, et al. Role of essential oils in food safety: Antimicrobial and antioxidant applications. Grain Oil Sci Technol 2019; 2(2): 49-55.
- Kõrge K, Šeme H, Bajić M, et al. Reduction in spoilage microbiota and cyclopiazonic acid mycotoxin with chestnut extract enriched chitosan packaging: Stability of inoculated Gouda cheese. Foods 2020; 9(11): 1654. doi: 10.3390/foods9111645.
- Elsherif WM, Talaat AL Shrief LM. Effects of three essential oils and their nano-emulsions on Listeria monocytogenes and Shigella flexneri in Egyptian Talaga cheese. Int J Food Microbiol 2021; 355: 109334. doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2021.109334.
- Leonelli Pires de Campos AC, Saldanha Nandi RD, Scandorieiro S, et al. Antimicrobial effect of Origanum vulgare (L.) essential oil as an alternative for conventional additives in the Minas cheese manufacture. LWT 2022; 157: 113063. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2021.113063.
- Álvarez-Martínez FJ, Barrajón-Catalán E, Herranz-López M, et al. Antibacterial plant compounds, extracts and essential oils: An updated review on their effects and putative mechanisms of action. Phytomedicine 2021; 90: doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2021. 153626.
- Khezerlou A, Azizi-Lalabadi M, Mousavi MM, et al. Incorporation of essential oils with antibiotic properties in edible packaging films. J Food Bioprocess Eng 2019; 2(1): 77-84.
- Mishra AP, Devkota HP, Nigam M, et al. Combination of essential oils in dairy products: A review of their functions and potential benefits. LWT 2020; 133: 110116. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2020.110116.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, et al. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Int J Surg 2010; 8(5): 336-341.
- Hao R, Roy K, Pan J, et al. Critical review on the use of essential oils against spoilage in chilled stored fish: A quantitative meta-analyses. Trends Food Sci Technol 2021; 111: 175-190.
- Ksouda G, Sellimi S, Merlier F, et al. Composition, antibacterial and antioxidant activities of Pimpinella saxifraga essential oil and application to cheese preservation as coating additive. Food Chem 2019; 288: 47-56.
- Zhang Y, Liu X, Wang Y, et al. Antibacterial activity and mechanism of cinnamon essential oil against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Food Control 2016; 59: 282-289.
- Jafarzadeh S, Salehabadi A, Mohammadi Nafchi A, et al. Cheese packaging by edible coatings and bio-degradable nanocomposites; improvement in shelf life, physicochemical and sensory properties. Trends Food Sci Technol 2021; 116: 218-231.
- Tayebi-Moghaddam S, Khatibi R, Taklavi S, et al. Sustained-release modeling of clove essential oil in brine to improve the shelf life of Iranian white cheese by bioactive electrospun zein. Int J Food Microbiol 2021; 355: 109337. doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro. 2021.109337.
- Ghasemi S, Javadi NHS, Moradi M. Application of zein antimicrobial edible film incorporating Zataria multiflora boiss essential oil for preservation of Iranian ultrafiltered Feta cheese. Afr J Biotechnol 2015; 14(24): 2014-2021.
- Saturos MJO, Tagubase JLJ, Fundador NGV. Anti-microbial and mechanical properties of Jackfruit seed starch-based films containing carvacrol. Mindanao J Sci Technol 2021; 19(1): 84-95.
- Gohargani M, Lashkari H, Shirazinejad A. The effect of chitosan-whey protein based edible coating containing bionanocomposite material and Zataria multiflora essential oil on UF-Feta type cheese shelf life [Persian]. Iran Food Sci Technol Res J 2021; 17(5): 729–745.
- Ríos-de-Benito LF, Escamilla-García M, García-Almendárez B, et al. Design of an active edible coating based on sodium caseinate, chitosan and oregano essential oil reinforced with silica particles and its application on Panela cheese. Coatings 2021; 11(10): 1212. doi:10.3390/coatings11101212.
- Pereira EB, Pozza MS, Olivo PM, et al. Microbiota indigenous milk, mesophilic lipolytic and proteolytic colonial cheese matured, produced at different times of the year. Rev Bras Saúde Prod Anim 2017; 18(4): 549-559.
- Khorshidian N, Yousefi M, Khanniri E, et al. Potential application of essential oils as antimicrobial preservatives in cheese. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 2018; 45: 62-72.
- Kure CF, Skaar I. The fungal problem in cheese industry. Curr Opin Food Sci 2019; 29: 14-19.
- Nguyen Van Long N, Joly C, Dantigny P. Active packaging with antifungal activities. Int J Food Microbiol 2016; 220: 73-90.
- D’agostino M, Tesse N, Frippiat JP, et al. Essential oils and their natural active compounds presenting antifungal properties. Molecules 2019; 24(20): 3713. doi: 10.3390/molecules24203713.
- Mani-López E, Cortés-Zavaleta O, López-Malo A. A review of the methods used to determine the target site or the mechanism of action of essential oils and their components against fungi. SN Appl Sci 2021; 3(1): 44. doi:10.1007/s42452-020-04102-1.
- Horváth G, Jenei JT, Vágvölgyi C, et al. Effects of essential oil combinations on pathogenic yeasts and moulds. Acta Biol Hung 2016; 67(2): 205-214.
- Almasi H, Forghani S, Moradi M. Recent advances on intelligent food freshness indicators; an update on natural colorants and methods of preparation. Food Packag Shelf Life 2022; 32: 100839. doi: 10.1016/ j.fpsl.2022.100839.
- Varghese SA, Siengchin S, Parameswaranpillai J. Essential oils as antimicrobial agents in biopolymer-based food packaging - A comprehensive review. Food Biosci 2020; 38: 100785. doi: 10.1016/j.fbio. 2020.100785.
- Zhang W, Jiang H, Rhim JW, et al. Effective strategies of sustained release and retention enhancement of essential oils in active food packaging films/coatings. Food Chem 2022; 367: 130671. doi: 10.1016/ j.foodchem.2021.130671.
- Toniciolli Rigueto CV, Rosseto M, Alessandretti I, et al. Gelatin films from wastes: A review of production, characterization, and application trends in food preservation and agriculture. Food Res Int 2022; 162 (Pt B): 112114. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2022.112114.
- Shanbehzadeh F, Saei-Dehkordi SS, Semnani D. Fabrication and characterization of electrospun nano-fibrous mats of polycaprolactone/gelatin containing ZnO nanoparticles and cumin essential oil and their anti-staphylococcal potency in white cheese. Food Biosci 2022; 49: 101904. doi: 10.1016/j.fbio. 2022.101904.
- Pandey VK, Islam RU, Shams R, et al. A comprehensive review on the application of essential oils as bioactive compounds in nano-emulsion based edible coatings of fruits and vegetables. Appl Food Res 2022; 2(1): 100042. doi: 10.1016/j.afres.2022.100042.
- Salem A, Jridi M, Abdelhedi O, et al. Development and characterization of fish gelatin-based biodegradable film enriched with Lepidium sativum extract as active packaging for cheese preservation. Heliyon 2021; 7(10): e08099. doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e08099.
- Pluta-Kubica A, Jamróz E, Juszczak L, et al. Characterization of furcellaran-whey protein isolate films with green tea or Pu-erh extracts and their application as packaging of an acid-curd cheese. Food Bioprocess Tech 2021; 14: 78-92.
- Gonelimali FD, Lin J, Miao W, et al. Antimicrobial properties and mechanism of action of some plant extracts against food pathogens and spoilage micro-organisms. Front Microbiol 2018; 9: 1639. doi: 10. 3389/fmicb.2018.01639.
- Sales MDC, Costa HB, Fernandes PMB, et al. Antifungal activity of plant extracts with potential to control plant pathogens in pineapple. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2016; 6(1): 26-31.
- Vaou N, Stavropoulou E, Voidarou C, et al. Towards advances in medicinal plant antimicrobial activity: A review study on challenges and future perspectives. Microorganisms 2021; 9(10): 2041. doi: 10.3390/ microorganisms9102041.
- Seydim AC, Sarikus-Tutal G, Sogut E. Effect of whey protein edible films containing plant essential oils on microbial inactivation of sliced Kasar cheese. Food Packag Shelf Life 2020; 26: 100567. doi: 10.1016/ j.fpsl.2020.100567.
- Álvarez B, Damiani N, Czerner M, et al. Application of active and edible films of sodium caseinate to extend the shelf-life of Argentine Pategrás cheese. J Appl Packag Res 2019; 11(3): 24-43.
- Gurdian C, Chouljenko A, Solval KM, et al. Application of edible films containing oregano (Origanum vulgare) essential oil on Queso Blanco cheese prepared with flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) oil. J Food Sci 2017; 82(6): 1395-1401.
- Kavas G, Kavas N, Saygili D. The effects of thyme and clove essential oil fortified edible films on the physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics of Kashar cheese. J Food Qual 2015; 38(6): 405-412.
- Lin L, Gu Y, Cui H. Moringa oil/chitosan nano-particles embedded gelatin nano fibers for food packaging against Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus on cheese. Food Packag Shelf Life 2019;19: 86-93.
- Kim H, Beak SE, Yang SY, et al. Application of an antimicrobial packaging material from chicken bone gelatine and cinnamon bark oil to mozzarella cheese. Int J Food Sci Technol 2018; 53(3): 619-625.
- Lee JH, Lee J, Song KB. Development of a chicken feet protein film containing essential oils. Food Hydrocoll 2015; 46: 208-215.
- Al-Sahlany STG. Production of biodegradable film from soy protein and essential oil of lemon peel and use it as cheese preservative. Basrah J Agric Sci 2017; 30(2): 27-35.
- Kashiri M, Cerisuelo JP, Domínguez I, et al. Zein films and coatings as carriers and release systems of Zataria multiflora essential oil for antimicrobial food packaging. Food Hydrocoll 2017; 70: 260-268.
- Kuorwel KK, Cran MJ, Sonneveld K, et al. Evaluation of antifungal activity of antimicrobial agents on cheddar cheese. Packag Technol Sci 2014; 27(1): 49-58.
- Kuorwel KK, Cran MJ, Sonneveld K, et al. Antimicrobial activity of natural agents against Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Packag Technol Sci 2011; 24(5): 299-307.
- Kuorwel KK, Cran MJ, Sonneveld K, et al. Antimicrobial activity of natural agents coated on starch-based films against Staphylococcus aureus. J Food Sci 2011; 76(8): 531-537.
- Yang SY, Cao L, Kim H, et al. Utilization of foxtail millet starch film incorporated with clove leaf oil for the packaging of Queso Blanco cheese as a model food. Starch/Staerke 2018; 70(3–4): 1700171. doi: 10.1002/ star.201700171.
- Higueras L, López-Carballo G, Gavara R, et al. Reversible covalent immobilization of cinnamaldehyde on chitosan films via schiff base formation and their application in active food packaging. Food Bioprocess Tech 2015; 8: 526-538.
- Karunamay S, Badhe SR, Shukla V, et al. Effect of essential oil of clove and oregano treated edible packaging film in extending the shelf life of paneer. J Pharm Innov 2020; 9(7): 317-322.
- Lima AEF, Andrade PL, Gomes de Lemos TL, et al. Development and application of galactomannan and essential oil-based edible coatings applied to “coalho” cheese. J Food Process Preserv 2021; 45(1): e15091. doi: 10.1111/jfpp.15091.
- Ünalan İU, Arcan I, Korel F, et al. Application of active zein-based films with controlled release properties to control Listeria monocytogenes growth and lipid oxidation in fresh Kashar cheese. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 2013; 20: 208-214.
- Robalo J, Lopes M, Cardoso O, et al. Efficacy of whey protein film incorporated with Portuguese green tea (Camellia sinensis) extract for the preservation of Latin-style fresh cheese. Foods 2022; 11(8): 1158. doi: 10.3390/foods11081158.
- Lee KY, Yang HJ, Song KB. Application of a puffer fish skin gelatin film containing Moringa oleifera Lam. leaf extract to the packaging of Gouda cheese. J Food Sci Technol 2016; 53(11): 3876-3883.
- Mushtaq M, Gani A, Gani A, et al. Use of pomegranate peel extract incorporated zein film with improved properties for prolonged shelf life of fresh Himalayan cheese (Kalari/kradi). Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 2018; 48: 25-32.
- Pereira LAS, Bemfeito RM, Bemfeito CM, et al. Acceptability of low-sodium mozzarella coated with zein and essential oils. Br Food J 2020; 122(9): 2939-2952.
- Kontogianni VG, Kasapidou E, Mitlianga P, et al. Production, characteristics and application of whey protein films activated with rosemary and sage extract in preserving soft cheese. LWT 2022; 155: 112996. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2021.112996.
- Mahajan K, Kumar S, Bhat ZF, et al. Functionalization of carrageenan based edible film using Aloe vera for improved lipid oxidative and microbial stability of frozen dairy products. Food Biosci 2021; 43: 101336. doi: 10.1016/j.fbio.2021.101336.
- Pratiwi I, Susilowati A, Pangastuti A. Incorporation of purslane extract (Portulaca oleracea) to chitosan edible film as a packaging material to prevent damage of mozzarella cheese during storage. IOP Conf Ser: Earth Environ Sci 2021; 828: 12026. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/828/1/012026.
- Ayana B, Turhan KN. Use of antimicrobial methyl-cellulose films to control Staphylococcus aureus during storage of Kasar cheese. Packag Technol Sci 2009; 22(8): 461-469.
- Shin YJ, Song HY, Seo YB, et al. Preparation of red algae film containing grapefruit seed extract and application for the packaging of cheese and bacon. Food Sci Biotechnol 2012; 21: 225-231.
- El-Sayed SM, El-Sayed HS, Ibrahim OA, et al. Rational design of chitosan/guar gum/zinc oxide bionano- composites based on Roselle calyx extract for Ras cheese coating. Carbohydr Polym 2020; 239: 116234. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2020.116234.
- Bonilla J, Sobral PJA. Gelatin-chitosan edible film activated with Boldo extract for improving microbiological and antioxidant stability of sliced Prato cheese. Int J Food Sci Technol 2018; 54(5): 1617-1624.
- Pluta-Kubica A, Jamróz E, Kawecka A, et al. Active edible furcellaran/whey protein films with yerba mate and white tea extracts: Preparation, characterization and its application to fresh soft rennet-curd cheese. Int J Biol Macromol 2020;155: 1307-1316.