Document Type : Clinical Report
1 DVSc Candidate, Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
2 Department of Pathobiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
A 15-year-old male terrier dog with symptoms of lethargy and severe abdominal distension was referred to the polyclinic hospital of the Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran. In addition to numbness and abdominal distension, the dog also had anorexia and severe weakness and some skin masses were observed. Due to the enlarged abdomen, splenomegaly was diagnosed in ultrasonography. Fine needle aspiration was performed on the liver and skin mass and then, neoplastic lesions were reported based on cytology. On the necropsy, two masses were found on the liver and shoulder skin. These masses were well-encapsulated, soft and multi-lobulated. Samples taken from the liver and skin were prepared by Hematoxylin and Eosin staining and then, two different immunohistochemical markers were used to confirm the initial diagnosis. Histopathological examination of these two well-encapsulated, soft and multi-lobulated masses on the liver and skin showed lipid content and liposarcoma was indicated. Immunohistochemical staining using two markers, S100 and MDM2, made a definitive diagnosis and confirmed the diagnosis.
- Baez JL, Hendrick MJ, Shofer FS, et al. Liposarcomas in dogs: 56 cases (1989-2000). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004; 224(6): 887-891.
- Doster AR, Tomlinson MJ, Mahaffey EA, et al. Canine liposarcoma. Vet Pathol 1986; 23(1): 84-87.
- Hendrick Mesenchymal tumors of the skin and soft tissues.In: Meuten DJ (Ed). Tumors in domestic animals. 5th ed. Ames, USA: John Wiley and Sons 2017; 142-175.
- Saik JE, Diters RE, Wortman JA. Metastasis of a well-differentiated liposarcoma in a dog and a note on nomenclature of fatty tumours. J Comp Pathol 1987; 97(3): 369-373.
- Davis PE, Dixon RT, Johnson JA, et al. Multiple liposarcoma of bone marrow origin in a Greyhound. J Small Anim Pract 1974; 15(7): 445-456.
- Messick JB, Radin MJ. Cytologic, histologic, and ultrastructural characteristics of a canine myxoid liposarcoma. Vet Pathol 1989; 26(6), 520-522.
- Doria-Torra G, Martínez J, Domingo M, et al. Liposarcoma in animals: literature review and case report in a domestic pig (Sus scrofa). J Vet Diagn Invest 2015; 27(2): 196-202.
- Kuntz CA, Dernell WS, Powers BE, et al. Prognostic factors for surgical treatment of soft-tissue sarcomas in dogs: 75 cases (1986-1996). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997; 211(9): 1147-1151.
- Frase R, Freytag M, Baumgärtner W, et al. Metastasising liposarcoma of bone in a young dog. Vet Rec 164(12), 372-373.