Document Type : Original Article
DVM Graduate, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
Diabetes in a long period can damage the testicular tissue and impair the male fertility potential. Recently, different herbal treatments have been used for the prevention of type I diabetes and its pathological effects. Methanolic extract of Equisetum arvense has anti-oxidant and hypoglycemic properties. Thus, the current study aimed to evaluate the protective effects of Equisetum arvense methanolic extract (EE) on diabetes-induced detrimental effects in mice testicular tissue. Thirty-two adult male mice were randomly divided into four groups including control-sham, diabetic (induced by streptozotocin, 50.00 mg kg-1 for five days), diabetic + EE 250 (250 mg kg-1) and diabetic + EE 500 (500 mg kg-1). After 45 days, all animals were euthanized and their testicles were dissected out and undergone histological analyses. Moreover, the serum level of testosterone was evaluated. Analyses showed that seminiferous tubules diameter, Leydig cells number per mm2 of the connective tissue, Sertoli cells number per tubule, serum level of testosterone and percentage of seminiferous tubules with positive tubular differentiation, repopulation and spermiogenesis indices were significantly decreased in the diabetic group in comparison with control-sham group. The administration of EE in test groups significantly decreased the adverse effects of diabetes (especially 500 mg kg-1). The results of this study revealed that diabetes disturbs spermatogenesis and spermiogenesis processes in mice. Meanwhile, the EE prevents diabetes-induced damages in mice testicular tissue, which may be associated with its hypoglycemic and antioxidative activities.
- Kang SI, Jin Y-J, Ko H-C, et al. Petalonia improves glucose homeostasis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2008; 373(2): 265-269.
- Ribeiro DL, Caldeira EJ, Cândido EM, et al. Prostatic stromal microenvironment and experimental diabetes.
Eur J Histochem 2006; 50(1): 51-60.
- Ye X, Qi J, Yu D, et al. Pharmacological efficacy of FGF21 analogue, liraglutide and insulin glargine in treatment of type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications 2017; 31(4): 726-734.
- Petroianu A, Alberti LR, de Melo MAB, et al. Relation between diabetes mellitus and male fertility. Einstein (São Paulo) 2009; 7(4 Pt 1): 407-410.
- Kim ST, Moley KH. Paternal effect on embryo quality in diabetic mice is related to poor sperm quality and associated with decreased glucose transporter expression. Reproduction 2008; 136(3): 313-322.
- Miralles-García JM, García-Díez LC. Specific aspects of erectile dysfunction in endocrinology. Int J Impot Res 2004; 16(Suppl 2): S10-S12.
- Shalaby MA, Hamowieh AR. Safety and efficacy of Zingiber officinale roots on fertility of male diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2010; 48(10): 2920-2924.
- Glazer CH, Bonde JP, Giwercman A, et al. Risk of diabetes according to male factor infertility: a register-based cohort study. Hum Reprod 2017; 32(7): 1474-1481.
- Ding G-L, Liu Y, Liu M-E, et al. The effects of diabetes on male fertility and epigenetic regulation during spermatogenesis. Asian J Androl 2015; 17(6): 948-953.
- Zha W, Bai Y, Xu L, et al. Curcumin attenuates testicular injury in rats with STZ-induced diabetes. Biomed Res Int 2018; 7468019. doi: 10.1155/2018/7468019.
- Uslu BA, Ilhan F, Gulyuzf F, et al. Assessment of the histopathological changes occurring in the testis of the mice suffering from experimental diabetes induced using J Anim Vet Adv 2009; 8(10): 1929-1935.
- Ballester J, Muñzo MC, Domínguez J, et al. Insulin-dependent diabetes affects testicular function by FSH- and LH-linked mechanisms. J Androl 2004; 25(5): 706-719.
- Kosova B, Cetintaş VB, Yavaşoglu A, et al. From a molecular biological viewpoint, does endothelin type A receptor antagonist therapy reduce diabetes-induced testicular damage in rats? Urology 2011; 77(1):250. e7-13. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2010.04.052.
- Olivares A, Méndez JP, Cárdenas M, et al. Pituitary-testicular axis function, biological to immunological ratio and charge isoform distribution of pituitary LH in male rats with experimental diabetes. Gen Com Endocrinol 2009; 161(3): 304-312.
- Hayath Basha SK, Subramanian S. Biochemical evaluation of antidiabetic and antioxidant potentials of Annona squamosa leaves extracts studied in STZ induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011; 2(3): 643-655.
- Grover JK, Yadav S, Vats V. Medicinal plants of India with anti-diabetic potential. J Ethnopharmacol 2002; 81(1): 81-100.
- Mimica-Dukic N, Simin N, Cvejic J, et al. Phenolic compounds in field horsetail (Equisetum arvense) as natural antioxidants. Molecules 2008; 13(7): 1455-1464.
- Sandhu NS, Kaur S, Chopra D. Equisetum arvense: Pharmacology and phytochemistry - a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010; 3(3): 146-150.
- Stajner D, Popović BM, Canadanović-Brunet J, et al. Exploring Equisetum arvense, Equisetum ramosissimum L. and Equisetum telmateia L. as sources of natural antioxidants. Phytother Res 2009; 23(4): 546-550.
- Nagai T, Myoda T, Nagashima, T. Antioxidative activities of water extract and ethanol extract from field horsetail (tsukushi) Equisetum arvense Food Chem 2005; 91(3): 389-394.
- Badole S, Kotwal S. Evaluation of proximate, free radical scavenging activity, and phytochemical analysis of Equisetum arvense extracts. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2017; 8(2): 146-150.
- Oh H, Kim D-H, Cho J-H, et al. Hepatoprotective and free radical scavenging activities of phenolic petrosin and flavonoid isolated from Equisetum arvense. J Ethnopharmacol 2004; 95(2-3): 421-424.
- Cetto AA, Wiedenfeld H, Revilla MC, et al. Hypoglycemic effect of Equisetum myriochaetum aerial parts on streptozotocin diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2000; 72(1-2): 129-133.
- Soleimani S, Fathiazarbaijani F, Nejati V, et al. Effect of Equisetum arvense (Equisetaceae) in micro-albuminuria and creatinine excretion in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in male rats. Int J Pharmacol 2007; 3(2): 155-159.
- Kalantari Hesari A, Shahrooz R, Ahmadi A, et al. Crocin prevention of anemia-induced changes in structural and functional parameters of mice testes. J Appl Biomed 2015; 13(3): 213-2
- Alemzadeh R, Ali O. Diabetes Mellitus. In: Kliegman RM (Ed). Nelson textbook of pediatrics. 19th Philadelphia, USA: Saunders 2011; 1968-1989.
- Hutson JC, Stocco DM, Campbell GT, et al. Sertoli cell function in diabetic, insulin-treated diabetic and semi-starved rats. Diabetes 1983; 32(2): 112-116.
- Benitez A, Perez Diaz J. Effect of streptozotocin-diabetes and insulin treatment on regulation of Leydig cell function in the rat. Horm Metab Res 1985; 17(1): 5-7.
- Sarkar R, Mohanakumar KP, Chowdhury M. Effects of an organophosphate pesticide, quinalphos, on the hypothalamo–pituitary–gonadal axis in adult male rats. J Reprod Fertil 2000; 118(1): 29-38.
- Rossi GL, Aeschlimann M. Morphometric studies of pituitary glands and testes in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Andrologia 1982; 14(6): 532-542.
- Hassan AA, Hassouna MM, Taketo T, et al. The effect of diabetes on sexual behavior and reproductive tract
function in male rats. J Urol 1993; 149(1): 148-154.
- Sanguinetti RE, Ogawa K, Kurohmaru M, et al. Ultra-structural changes in mouse Leydig cells after strepto-zotocin administration. Exp Anim 1995; 44(1): 71-73.
- Seethalakshmi L, Menon M, Diamond D. The effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on the neuro-endocrine-male reproductive tract axis of the adult rat. J Urol 1987; 138(1): 190-194.