Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Department of Avian Health and Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
The objective of the present study was to evaluate the alterations in selected indicators of immune responses and oxidative stress of broilers fed with nano-manganese. One hundred-sixty 1-day-old broiler chicks were randomly assigned into four groups with three replicates. Birds were fed the same basal diet supplemented with nano-manganese oxide, as 0.00 (control group), 50.00, 100, or 150 mg kg-1 of diet. The birds were vaccinated against avian influenza (AI), Newcastle disease (ND), infectious bronchitis (IB) and infectious bursal disease (IBD) as the standard vaccination schedule. Blood sample was taken from the brachial vein of birds on 42th day. A significant decrease in antibody titer against sheep RBC was revealed in the nano-manganese 100 and 150 groups compared to the control group. In addition, the antibody titers against IB and ND were significantly lower in the all nano-manganese groups compared to the control group. No significant difference was observed for the antibody titer against AI and oxidative stress indices among the experimental groups. The findings in the present study suggested that nano-manganese at 50.00, 100 and 150 mg kg-1 levels might suppress humoral immune response in broilers which should be taken into consideration in supplementation.
- Gajula SS, Chelasani VK, Panda AK, et al. Effect of supplemental inorganic Zn and Mn and their interactions on the performance of broiler chicken, mineral bioavailability, and immune response. Biol Trace Elem Res 2011; 139(2): 177-187.
- National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th Washington, USA: National Academy Press 1994; 1-176.
- Sunder GS, Panda AK, Gopinath NCS, et al. Effect of supplemental manganese on mineral uptake by tissues and immune response in broiler chickens. J Poult Sci 2006; 43(4): 371-377.
- Yang XJ, Sun XX, Li CY, et al. Effects of copper, iron, zinc, and manganese supplementation in a corn and soybean meal diet on the growth performance, meat quality, and immune responses of broiler chickens. J Appl Poult Res 2011; 20(3): 263-271.
- Liu X, Li Z, Han C, et al. Effects of dietary manganese on Cu, Fe, Zn, Ca, Se, IL-1β, and IL-2 changes of immune organs in cocks. Biol Trace Elem Res 2012; 148(3): 336-344.
- Liu X, Li ZP, Tie F, et al. Effects of manganese-toxicity on immune-related organs of cocks. Chemosphere 2013; 90(7): 2085-2100.
- Wang H, Zhang J, Yu H. Elemental selenium at nano size possesses lower toxicity without compromising the fundamental effect on selenoenzymes: comparison with selenomethionine in mice. Free Radic Biol Med 2007; 42(10): 1524-1533.
- Zhang J, Wang X, Xu T. Elemental selenium at nano size (Nano-Se) as a potential chemopreventive agent with reduced risk of selenium toxicity: comparison with Se-methylselenocysteine in mice. Toxicol Sci 2008; 101(1): 22-31.
- Cai SJ, Wu CX, Gong LM, et al. Effects of nano-selenium on performance, meat quality, immune function, oxidation resistance, and tissue selenium content in broilers. Poult Sci 2012; 91(10): 2532-2539.
- Lotfi L, Zaghari M, Zeinoddini S, et al. Comparison dietary nano and micro manganese on broilers performance. In proceedings: 5th International conference on nanotechnology: fundamentals and applications. Prague, Czech Republic: 2014.
- Costantini D, Møller AP. Does immune response cause oxidative stress in birds? A meta-analysis. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 2009; 153(3): 339-344.
- Weiss DJ, Ramaiah SK, Walcheck B. Neutrophil distribution and function. In: Weiss DJ, Wardrop KJ (Eds). Schalm’s veterinary hematology. 6th Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell 2010; 268-274.
- Heidarpour M, Mohri M, Borji H, et al. Oxidative stress and trace elements in camel (Camelus dromedarius) with liver cystic echinococcosis. Vet Parasitol 2012; 187(3-4): 459-463.
- Heidarpour M, Mohri M, Borji H, et al. Oxidant/anti-oxidant status in cattle with liver cystic echinococcosis. Vet Parasitol 2013; 195(1-2): 131-135.
- Mozhdeganloo Z, Moghadam Jafari A, Koohi MK, et al. Methylmercury-induced oxidative stress in rainbow trout (oncorhynchus mykiss) liver: ameliorating effect of vitamin C. Biol Trace Elem Res 2015; 165(1): 103-109.
- Mozhdeganloo Z, Moghadam Jafari A, Koohi MK, et al. Permethrin-induced oxidative damage in liver of rain-bow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and its attenuation by vitamin C. Iran J Vet Res 2016; 17(1): 31-35.
- Atayi Z, Borji H, Moazeni M, et al. Zataria multiflora would attenuate the hepatotoxicity of long-term albendazole treatment in mice with cystic echinococcosis. Parasitol Int 2018; 67(2): 184-187.
- Evans P, Halliwell B. Micronutrients: oxidant/anti-oxidant status. Br J Nutr 2001; 85(Suppl 2): S57-S74.
- Wegmann TG, Smithies O. A simple hemagglutination system requiring small amounts of red cells and antibodies. Transfusion 1966; 6: 67-73.
- Placer ZA, Cushman LL, Johnson BC. Estimation of product of lipid peroxidation (malonyl dialdehyde) in biochemical systems. Anal Biochem 1966; 16(2): 359-364.
- Hu ML, Dillard CJ. Plasma SH and CSH measurement. Methods Enzymol 1994; 233: 385-387.
- Benzie IF, Strain JJ. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996; 239(1): 70-76.
- Vieira MC, Torronteras R, Córdoba F, et al. Acute toxicity of manganese in goldfish Carassius auratus is associated with oxidative stress and organ specific antioxidant responses. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2012; 78: 212-217.
- Wang HW, Cai DB, Zhao CL, et al. Effects of dietary manganese supplementation on antioxidant enzyme activity in the shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda). Isr J Aquac 2010; 62: 78-84.
- Chen CJ, Ou YC, Lin SY, et al. Manganese modulates pro-inflammatory gene expression in activated glia. Neurochem Int 2006; 49(1): 62-71.
- Jankowski J, Ognik K, Stępniowska A, et al. The effect of manganese nanoparticles on apoptosis and on redox and immune status in the tissues of young turkeys. PLoS One 2018; 13(7): e0201487. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0201487.