Document Type : Clinical Report
Department of Surgery and Radiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Canine osteosarcoma (OS) or osteogenic sarcoma is an aggressive tumor of the skeletal system, associated with a rapid progression and guarded prognosis. The osteosarcomas, mostly arise from the appendicular skeleton while axial OS (osteosarcoma of flat bones) are less reported in the majority of large breeds. This report describes complete para-clinical investigations of an aggressive chondroblastic OS involving facial flat bones with highly metastatic characterization in a large mix breed stray dog. Radiographic and computed tomography findings demonstrated an amorphous and active new bone formation, associated with the severe lytic areas in the left maxillary, orbital and zygomatic bones. Also, lots of nodular densities were distributed in all lung lobes. The cytological examination of the mass revealed individualized oval to spindle-shaped pleomorphic mesenchymal cells exhibiting many criteria of malignancy such as marked anisocytosis, anisokaryosis, prominent and multiple nucleoli. The punctate cytoplasmic vacuoles were obvious and bi-nucleated cells were frequently observed. These cells were seen in the background of an eosinophilic matrix. Histopathologic evaluation of the mass exhibited areas of osseous differentiation within the mass containing bony spicules and wavy bone formation along with the vast areas of cartilaginous differentiations with chondroblasts in lacunar spaces. Ultimately, chondroblastic OS with severe lung metastasis was confirmed and the animal was euthanized.
- Pool RR. Tumors of bone and cartilage. In: Moulton JE (Ed). Tumors in domestic animals. 3rd ed. Berkeley, USA: University of California Press 1990; 206-216.
- Loukopoulos P, Robinson WF. Clinicopathological relevance of tumor grading in canine osteosarcoma. J Comp Pathol 2007; 136(1):65-73.
- Dernell WS, Ehrhart NP, Straw RC, et al. Tumors of the skeletal system. In: Withrow SJ, Vail DM (Eds). Withrow and MacEwen’s small animal clinical oncology. St. Louis, USA: Saunders Elsevier 2007; 540-582.
- Thompson JP, Fugent MJ. Evaluation of survival times after limb amputation, with and without subsequent administration of cisplatin, for treatment of appendicular osteosarcoma in dogs: 30 cases (1979-1990). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1992; 200(4):531-533.
- Awadinb W, Zaghloula A, Mosbaha E, et al. Chondro-blastic osteosarcoma in right thigh of a bitch. Res Rev J Zoological Sci 2017; 52(2):47-50.
- Patnaik AK, Lieberman PH, Erlandson RA, et al. Canine sinonasal skeletal neoplasms: chondrosarcomas and osteosarcomas. Vet Pathol 1984; 21(5):475-482.
- Vanden Bussche CJ, Sathiyamoorthy S, Wakely PE Jr, et al. Chondroblastic osteosarcoma: Cytomorphologic characteristics and differential diagnosis on FNA. Cancer Cytopathol 2016;124(7):493-500.
- Patnaik AK. Canine extraskeletal osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma: A clinicopathologic study of 14 cases. Vet Pathol 1990; 27(1):46-55.
- Oliveira F, Silveira PR. Osteosarcoma in dogs (literature review) [porteguese]. Revista Cientifica Eletronica Med Vet 2008; 11:1-7.
- Cabay RJ, Reddy V, David O, et al. Cytologic features of primary chondroid tumors of bone in crush preparations. Diagn Cytopathol 2008; 36(10):758-761.
- Meuten DJ. Tumors in domestic animals. 5th ed. Raleigh, USA: John Wiley & Sons 2016. 892-900.
- Castro JL, Santalucia S, Nazareth W, et al. Axial osteo-sarcoma in dog-case report. J Vet Adv 2013; 3(1): 29-33.
- Thompson KG, Pool RR. Tumors of bones. In: Meuten DJ (Ed). Tumors in domestic animals. 4th ed. Ames, USA: Iowa State Press 2002; 263-283.
- Granowski-LeCornu M, Chuang SK, Kaban LB, et al. Osteosarcoma of the jaws: Factors influencing prognosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 69(9):2368-2375.