Document Type : Original Article
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University, Urmia, Iran
Department of Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
The torsion model of testis in a rat was adopted for evaluation of possible effects of propolis (Prop) on ischemia-reperfusion (IS/REP) injury. The healthy male Wistar rats (totally 24 animals) were randomized into four groups (n = 6) and animals experienced bilateral testicular torsions as follows: In sham group just, laparotomy was performed and in IS group, animals experienced a 3 hr period testicular IS. In IS/REP group, a 3 hr period of IS followed by a 3 hr period of testicular REP for left testis and a one-week testicular REP for right testis were done. In this group animals were gavaged by 1.00 mL normal saline 1 hr before the onset of IS. In IS/REP/ Prop group, the same procedures for IS/REP animals were followed as well as gavage of 1.00 mL Prop extract solution 1 hr before the onset of IS. Analyses of biochemistry, histology, inflammatory biomarkers and sperm parameters were carried out. In IS/REP/Prop group, nitric oxide synthase malondialdehyde, myeloperoxidase and 8-hydroxy-2 deoxyguanine in IS/REP/Prop group were significantly decreased and, superoxide dismutase, total glutathione, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase were significantly increased compared to the other animals. In IS/REP/Prop group, seminiferous tubules (with normal spermatogenesis) showed all stages of spermatogenic cells with plentiful spermatozoa. Tubular deterioration and atrophy and spermatogenic cell loss in were seen in a limited extent. The mean concentrations of Interleukin-1 beta and tumor necrosis factor alpha in IS/REP/Prop were significantly decreased. Sperm quality was significantly improved by Prop in IS/REP/Prop group. It was concluded that Prop could be supportive in diminishing IS/REP injury in testicular tissue exposed to ischemia.
- McLachlan RI, de Krester DM. Male infertility: the case for continued research. Med J Aust 2001; 174(3): 116-117.
- Srinath H. Acute scrotal pain. Aus Fam Physician 2013; 42(11): 790-792.
- Arap MA, Vicentini FC, Cocuzza M, et al. Late hormonal levels, semen parameters, and presence of antisperm antibodies in patients treated for testicular torsion. J Androl 2007; 28(4): 528-532.
- Parhizkar P, Mohammadi R, Shahrooz R, et al. Effects of pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovaries: histological and biochemical assessments. Bull Emerg Trauma 2019; 7(1): 35-40.
- Javanmardi S, Khordadmehr M. Benidipine reduces ischemia/reperfusion injury following testicular torsion/detorsion in rats. Iran J Vet Surg 2017; 12(2): 21-30.
- Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. J Lipid Res 1998; 39(8): 1529-1542.
- Huang HY, Helzlsouer KJ, Appel LJ. The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on oxidative DNA damage: results from a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2000; 9(7): 647-652.
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1993; 90(17): 7915-7922.
- El-Guendouz S, Al-Waili N, Aazza S, et al. Antioxidant and diuretic activity of co-administration of Capparis spinosa honey and propolis in comparison to furosemide. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2017; 10(10): 974-980.
- Park SG, Lee DY, Seo SK, et al. Evaluation of anti-allergic properties of caffeic acid phenethyl ester in a murine model of systemic anaphylaxis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2008; 226(1): 22-29.
- Sforcin JM. Biological properties and therapeutic applications of propolis. Phytother Res 2016; 30(6): 894-905.
- Barbosa RA, Nunes TL, Nunes TL, et al. Hydroalcoholic extract of red propolis promotes functional recovery and axon repair after sciatic nerve injury in rats. Pharm Biol 2016; 54(6): 993-1004.
- Chen CC, Kuo CY, Chen RF. Role of CAPE on cardio-myocyte protection via connexin 43 regulation under hypoxia. Int J Med Sci 2016; 13(10): 754-758.
- Kabała-Dzik A, Rzepecka-Stojko A, Kubina R, et al. Migration rate inhibition of breast cancer cells treated by caffeic acid and caffeic acid phenethyl ester: an in vitro comparison study. Nutrients 2017; 9(10): 1144. doi: 10.3390/nu9101144.
- Nie J, Chang Y, Li Y, et al. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester (propolis extract) ameliorates insulin resistance by inhibiting JNK and NF-κB inflammatory pathways in diabetic mice and HepG2 cell models. J Agric Food Chem 2017; 65(41): 9041-9053.
- Cheung KW, Sze DM, Chan WK, et al. Brazilian green propolis and its constituent, Artepillin C inhibits allogeneic activated human CD4 T cells expansion and activation. J Ethnopharmacol 2011; 138(2): 463-471.
- Tang H, Yao X, Yao C, et al. Anti-colon cancer effect of caffeic acid p-nitro-phenethyl ester in vitro and in vivo and detection of its metabolites. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 7599. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-07953-8.
- Koc K, Erol HS, Colak S, et al. The protective effect of propolis on rat ovary against ischemia-reperfusion injury: immunohistochemical, biochemical and histopathological evaluations. Biomed Pharmacother 2019; 111: 631-637.
- Ethical standards for investigations of experimental pain in animals. The committee for research and ethical issues of the international association for the study of pain. Pain 1980; 9(2): 141-143.
- Animal euthanasia policy. Approved and adopted. Available at: https://research.wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Euthanasia.pdf. Accessed May 03, 2023.
- Esmaeilsani Z, Barati F, Mohammadi R, et al. Effects of curcumin nanoparticles on the tissue oxidative stress following testicular torsion and detorsion in rat model. Iran J Vet Surg 2019; 14(2): 97-104.
- O'Shaughnessy PJ, Monteiro A, Verhoeven G, et al. Effect of FSH on testicular morphology and spermatogenesis in gonadotrophin-deficient hypogonadal mice lacking androgen receptors. Reproduction 2010; 139(1):177-184.
- Cosentino MJ, Nishida M, Rabinowitz R, et al. Histopathology of prepubertal rat testes subjected to various durations of spermatic cord torsion. J Androl 1986; 7(1): 23-31.
- Moloody-Tappe M, Shahrooz R, Razi M, et al. The effect of CoQ10 on testicular tissue in rats treating with busulfan: sperm quality and histological change. Iran J Vet Surg 2018; 13(1): 29-38.
- Dai C, Ciccotosto GD, Cappai R, et al. Rapamycin confers neuroprotection against colistin-induced oxidative stress, mitochondria dysfunction, and apoptosis through the activation of autophagy and mTOR/Akt/CREB signaling pathways. ACS Chem Neurosci 2018; 9(4): 824-837.
- Tan Q, Yan X, Song L, et al. Induction of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative damage by antibiotic drug doxycycline enhances the responsiveness of glioblastoma to chemotherapy. Med Sci Monit 2017; 23: 4117-4125.
- Pan Y, Wang N, Xia P, et al. Inhibition of Rac1 ameliorates neuronal oxidative stress damage via reducing Bcl-2/Rac1 complex formation in mitochondria through PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway. Exp Neurol 2018; 300: 149-166.
- Viuda-Martos M, Ruiz-Navajas Y, Fernández-López J, et al. Functional properties of honey, propolis, and royal jelly. J Food Sci 2008; 73(9): R117-R124.
- Geyikoglu F, Koc K, Erol HS, et al. The propolis and boric acid can be highly suitable, alone/or as a combinatory approach on ovary ischemia-reperfusion injury. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2019; 300(5): 1405-1412.
- Abdel-Rahman RF, Alqasoumi SI, Ogaly HA, et al. Propolis ameliorates cerebral injury in focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) rat model via upregulation of TGF-β1. Saudi Pharm J 2020; 28(1): 116-126.
- Kaya ST, Agan K, Fulden-Agan A, et al. Protective effect of propolis on myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury in males and ovariectomized females but not in intact females. J Food Biochem 2022; 46(7): e14109. doi: 10.1111/jfbc.14109.
- da Costa MF, Libório AB, Teles F, et al. Red propolis ameliorates ischemic-reperfusion acute kidney injury. Phytomedicine 2015; 22(9): 787-795.
- Celik O, Turkoz Y, Hascalik S, et al. The protective effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovary. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2004; 117(2): 183-188.
- Armutcu F, Akyol S, Ustunsoy S, et al. Therapeutic potential of caffeic acid phenethyl ester and its anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects (Review). Exp Ther Med 2015; 9(5): 1582-1588.